Who does case boring?

just_some_dude

Thanks for the info. so far!

Well I'm glad I started this thread :)... I am having to rip into the case anyway.

I'd like to put a 625 cc cylinder from a 1250 cc XB kit onto my bike, eventually. Far future, re-balanced XB12 crank.

Curious to know. Is it possible to bore the case, but also have a spacer in there temporarily so I can run on my current setup until I get all the stuff?

Sell your blast, save some money and buy a fast bike. The blast will never be fast. You're looking at a grand plus to strangle 70 hp out of a bike that wasn't designed to make it. I know you're all about your blast dude, I get it. You have an emotional connection with it. If you want to go fast you're gonna need to upgrade your entire motorcycle choice.

I know, I know, 'the guy wants to make his blast bad-ass, let him do it.' Fine, ignore all reason and practicality and spend the money. In the end you're going to want more than it can give you.

You can put a tube top and daisy dukes on a fat chick all you want but its not gonna make her hot.

Anything can be done with enough money !!

Absolutely, but why bother re-engineering a bike that wasn't ever supposed to be fast in the first place? Sell it, save the money you would've spent and buy a bigger buell if you like buells, or buy a speed triple... something that was engineered to handle the power you crave.

To what I am reading, I need to bore to 4.005 which could get me a cylinder with my current crank to around 585cc. Maybe a touch more. With an XB12 crank I could probably get myself over 600, I would think.

Edited by just_some_dude

To what I am reading, I need to bore to 4.005 which could get me a cylinder with my current crank to around 485cc. Maybe a touch more. With an XB12 crank I could probably get myself over 600, I would think.

Lessee.... digging a bit.... 2001 Buell Blast -- 34 hp -- 492cc.... Bore x Stroke..... 88.9mm x 79.4mm or 3.49999 x 3.1259 (inches)

Dude, your talking uping the bore a full half inch. Chances are your cylinder wont even make it to that. :eek:

The Blast has half a Harley XL/Buell XB motor in it. XB owners and XL owners do it all the time. I already have an XB/XL head, XB cams, XB springs, and XB piston running on the bike right now. I can rip just about anything off of an XL or XB and it will fit on my bike. It can be done and has been done multiple times.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping the thread. I have been searching up and down and still can't find anyone.

I've found places that do cylinder boring, and some who do car engines, but nobody that will bore a motorcycle engine case.

I called Dave's and he said he wasn't able to do it because the case would have to be split. I have the case split, but I could easily bolt it together to get a bore without the split. I sent him a follow up email to see if he could pull it off that way.

Anybody have any more leads?

Also looking for someone to work on a crankshaft for me. Need to put a different rod on, lighten it, and have it balanced.

I'm actually a bit surprised there aren't more places that are able to bore engine cases with all the bikes and racing we have around here.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I know nrhs pretty well, also Hammer Performance and Rev Performance. I have considered a bolt on in the past, but I'd like to go further on this bike and see what I can get out of it.

I have an XB crank coming in the mail, had to split the case to check the tranny, so everything is basically in place. Might as well do it.

I avoid sending the case to NRHS, for example, their prices are high and I'd have to pay for shipping (which is even more). NRHS will bore a Blast case for 157.50. There are companies online that will do a twin for $125 and less. I would imagine a single would be at most half that price to bore the case.

330-673-5133. Rick at portage motors, he has a full machine shop and builds race engines for a living. I had him punch out my cb750 jugs, he charges $50 a hole I think. I'm sure he could handle everything you need done but he's located in kent, so you'd have to ship it to him. He's a good guy, give him a call.