Putnam 8/20 (Indy/Commo)

Revelstoker

Who's burning the Monday after MotoGP for a day of fun?

Riding I and will be joined by my brother, also on a 900ss in I. Though, I think he is sporting some yellow and red two tone unit now.

Be sure to say hi when passing us by.

Edited by Revelstoker

OK, anyone see my T4 exit in the I session before lunch?

Not sure how it happened. I spent most of the session following my brother who was learning the track layout. I picked up the pace after he pulled off and was running through T4 when the front went out on me.

Question on tires (Dunlop Q2):

Front tire has 2.5 years (10-12) track days on it but plenty of tread.

28r/30f cold is what I normally run but started the day at 27/29 cold.

Rear was replaced at the start of this season and now has 3 days on it.

Rear was well scrubbed left and right side after the crash.

Left side of the front tire was "blued" at the start of the day.

Chicken strips (1/4 inch) still exist on each side of rear, so the bike was never at "full" lean.

After the crash, I took a look at the front tire. Right side was scrubbed from the Putnam pavement but the left side was not scrubbed. Left side was smooth despite 3 sessions on it.

So, tire may have been cool on the left but was working just fine for 2.5 sessions. Air pressure should have been ok. Could the tire just lost its grip with heat cycles?

Not sure what any other stupid thing I could have done. I was really concentrating on hooking my outside leg into the tank, supporting body with torso muscles, chest on the tank and taking pressure off the bars. So, I can't point to something I did (eg grab the brake) or didn't do but obsiously, something was a amiss.

I am going to get a new front Q2 but should I look at the new Bridgestones BT003s or potentially biting the bullet and going to DOT w/ warmers?

Edited by Revelstoker

I didn't see the crash, but that is one old front tire. They can have plenty of tread on them and still have the rubber heat cycled too many times. Definitely get some fresh rubber of any kind. What sort of times are you running?

OK, anyone see my T4 exit in the I session before lunch?

Not sure how it happened. I spent most of the session following my brother who was learning the track layout. I picked up the pace after he pulled off and was running through T4 when the front went out on me.

Question on tires (Dunlop Q2):

Front tire has 2.5 years (10-12) track days on it but plenty of tread.

28r/30f cold is what I normally run but started the day at 27/29 cold.

Rear was replaced at the start of this season and now has 3 days on it.

Rear was well scrubbed left and right side after the crash.

Left side of the front tire was "blued" at the start of the day.

Chicken strips (1/4 inch) still exist on each side of rear, so the bike was never at "full" lean.

After the crash, I took a look at the front tire. Right side was scrubbed from the Putnam pavement but the left side was not scrubbed. Left side was smooth despite 3 sessions on it.

So, tire may have been cool on the left but was working just fine for 2.5 sessions. Air pressure should have been ok. Could the tire just lost its grip with heat cycles?

Not sure what any other stupid thing I could have done. I was really concentrating on hooking my outside leg into the tank, supporting body with torso muscles, chest on the tank and taking pressure off the bars. So, I can't point to something I did (eg grab the brake) or didn't do but obsiously, something was a amiss.

I am going to get a new front Q2 but should I look at the new Bridgestones BT003s or potentially biting the bullet and going to DOT w/ warmers?

Were you in Novice? I think I followed you for awhile.. I was control riding on a 675R and wearing red and white leathers...

Were you in Novice? I think I followed you for awhile.. I was control riding on a 675R and wearing red and white leathers...

Intermediate

2nd and 3rd session, I was following my brother on another 900ss. I am sure you flew by us at some point.

I walked the tech area looking for you and the 675 but didn't see you. I was going to hit you up for a tow/follow later in the day. I was feeling pretty good in T7 and T8 for the first time ever but I knew I could run T8 better with a line adjustment.

Intermediate

2nd and 3rd session, I was following my brother on another 900ss. I am sure you flew by us at some point.

I walked the tech area looking for you and the 675 but didn't see you. I was going to hit you up for a tow/follow later in the day. I was feeling pretty good in T7 and T8 for the first time ever but I knew I could run T8 better with a line adjustment.

I rode every I session as well.. I was in Garage 7 with my dad. I'm sure I was out there the same time you were..

Well 10-12 trackdays on a front is a TON.. That might be the issue.. I would say it was either your front tire being complete shit.. You hit a slick spot such as oil (not likely).. You either hit the brake, or cut the throttle and dis something weird that upset the bike (also not that likely in turn 4).. Or your suspension has issues (also not likely)

You can get away with a good street tire and not use warmers until you are running like 1:25's or below at putnam.. below that I would reccomend a good set of tires.. That being said, just because it appears tread is left I wouldn't reccomend doing that many trackdays on a set of any tires.

They are street tires, they don't really heat cycle. I have ran a front for 2 years with 20+ days on it.

Of course they heat cycle, they're made of a rubber composite. You might be able to get away with many, many more heat cycles than a race tire, because of the design and intent of the compound, but they do heat cycle. And depending on your pace, style, bike, pavements and a whole lot of other things, you'll get more TDs or less TDs out of a tire. But that front tire, and the one you're referring to, are well past their change-date IMO. I used to run street tires on the track, and could most definitely tell the difference in performance as they were cycled, even with fairly minimal tread wear.

I don't take my car tires on a race track. But even then, there is a definite difference in the traction offered by a new set of street (car or bike) tires and an old set. And you can chalk a large part of that down to heat cycling.

Edited by CephasGT