Finally replacing the Swing arm. Ideas?

RSparky

The dilemma is lifting the bike up so I can take the swingarm off. The exhaust hangs underneath. If not for that, I would just use a dirtbike lift.

My dad has a lift like this:

motorcycle-lifts-tcmlw-gallery-350px.jpg

He said it had some pieces to go around the exhaust, but i don't recall anything that would work. Besides, it would lift the whole bike, so the wheel would still be on the stand.

My initial idea is just to build a triangular A frame out of 2x4s and ratchet strap around the sub-frame on the bike.

I also had the idea to get two cheap dirtbike stands from Harbor Freight to slide in each side around the exhaust.... Then lift them at the same time. But it would probably tip.

I'm sure some of you racer guys have a quick and easy method for stuff like this that doesn't involve an engine puller, right?

Rawlins, that's another good option. The garage is finished, and tall, but it could be done.

Blue, there's not a lot of frame back there. Where I could go, on either side of the shock dog bone, has the exhaust on one side.

I've been avoiding doing it, but would it be easier to pull the headers off?

pivot shaft wrench, i see. a google search showed me. and brought me to nate's thread from 08.

i'll be dremelling a 17mm socket, then...

It's not the nut that's on the outside of the swing arm, but after you take that one off, and it's nestled in there a bit, right? 6 Nm torque, right?

Edited by RSparky

I just put on rear stand and front, flipped footpegs, put jack stands under pegs, loosened everything and then removed rear stand and finished the job.

Aftermarket arms look so much better imo. I like a thin arm look to clean the lines of the bike for a great look.

I've jacked every inline-4 I've ever owned up by the exhaust, never had a pipe dent or bend or anything. I'm sure that certain people will probably say I'm an idiot and that I'm gonna smash my pipes etc...go ahead. I use a harbor freight bike jack, strap the bike to it and jack it up. Had my seca 2 up on the lift sitting on the pipes for over a week, didn't hurt a thing.