HELP: ZX6R losing power up top

Hollywood33

Yo. So I'm hoping some of my OR peeps might be able to help me out.

Bike: 2007 ZX6R

Full Leo Vince exhaust (actually Leo slip on with Pine Box header)

Bazzaz Fi unit

BMC race air filter

Jumper Mod

Custom Map

I was racing Sunday at Nelson Ledges when my bike started having issues in practice. It would pull hard, like normal, in the lower rpm range up until about 12 grand. I noticed it coming out of a turn in 3rd gear and pinning the throttle. Once it got to about 12000 rpm, where normally the power really comes on hard, nothing would happen. The bike would just very slowly climb the revs and be extremely underpowered. It would also hesitate or stutter ever so slightly periodically all the way to redline. It would do this in every gear after about 12 grand or so. So needless to say my races were fucked as people would just blitz me on the straights.

After my first race, we drained the gas and put in new gas from a different source. We also checked the connections on the Bazzaz unit, and unplugged it and plugged it back in. Went back out, no change.

We switched the Bazzaz to a secondary map. Nothing.

Then we completely removed the Bazzaz unit and wire harness and hooked everything back up stock. No change.

We checked the fuses, they look fine. Fuel pump is coming on like it should.

I don't know, any ideas? I have a race in a few weeks and would definitely rather not waste money taking it in somewhere. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Start with the dumb stuff. Fuel filter, fuel line kink, tank breather, plugs, wires, air filter. If all that checks out I'd then move on to testing injectors, coils, compression, ecu, maf sensor or air temp sensor,cam timing. Hope you get it worked out.

If the jumper mod isn't needed then it could be removed? I'm just going off the mods done is all.

I had a similar issue with the secondary butterflies on my gixxer. TPS was not hooked up and thusly not actually closing causing the motor to bog down. They would cycle open and not close at all. Worth a look to see if they're working properly.

Check the battery. Had same issue with my R6 ran great, started fine, but long top end runs like the back straight at mid ohio and the bike would cut out 5 and 6th gear. I chased everything finally learned the battery was only at 70% and the bike couldn't produce enough energy to run WOT.

I also learned that my battery charger was crap when this was all going on.. Just a thought

Check the battery. Had same issue with my R6 ran great, started fine, but long top end runs like the back straight at mid ohio and the bike would cut out 5 and 6th gear. I chased everything finally learned the battery was only at 70% and the bike couldn't produce enough energy to run WOT.

I also learned that my battery charger was crap when this was all going on.. Just a thought

Definitely a good thought. Appreciate it.

Valves need adjusted?

Valves were adjusted before the start of this season, so I really hope that's not it!

I appreciate the input guys, at this point I'm trying to get as many ideas as I can so I can come up with a little list of things to possibly check when I dig into the bike in a couple days.

do you have a battery charger? Need to borrow one? My battery tender is on my bike, but it's not like it's hard to remove...

I won't need it for at least a few weeks. PM me. I'm not available Wednesday, but thursday or friday after 5 or 6 I should be good. Problem is there's no way to (legally) find out if any changes work without a race track...

I mean, you can rev the bike, but without a load, who knows if it's actually pulling beyond 12k?

do you have a battery charger? Need to borrow one? My battery tender is on my bike, but it's not like it's hard to remove...

I won't need it for at least a few weeks. PM me. I'm not available Wednesday, but thursday or friday after 5 or 6 I should be good. Problem is there's no way to (legally) find out if any changes work without a race track...

I mean, you can rev the bike, but without a load, who knows if it's actually pulling beyond 12k?

I appreciate it, man. I actually have a battery charger. But yes, you are absolutely correct, it will be hard to test anything without being able to legally ride it on the street. Luckily, my bike is currently in Geneva and, in theory, one could possibly run it down a country road real quick. (Although I personally would never break the law in such a way.) I'm considering taking it to a test and tune night at Thompson and running it down the drag strip a few times while trying different things.