Powdercoating wheels

Helmutt

Beginning of the year I bought a set of new take-off OEM wheels for my ZX14 to mount track tires and make swaps between them and street 2ct's much easier, plus its just nice to have spares readily available. Well, the rear wheel has some nasty, sharp, little gouges in it from where the po's tire machine's clamps slipped while removing the OE tires. Cant go back on the seller as they were purchased "as is" so its not a huge issue, I'm just wanting them smooth and clean again so I can wipe them down without shredding rags or a finger.

My question is what to use as a filler after I sand out the gathered aluminum thats piled at the edge of the gouges? The marks are maybe 1/8" deep and about 1/2" long. Not sure what temps PC gets baked on so whatever is used would have to tolerate that process. Guess the PC company could enlighten me on this but I was looking to do the prep work myself to save extra expense on having them redone. Thanx for any advice in advance!

Use Alvin's Lab Metal - High Temp.

I've used it as a filler and powdered over it loads of times and it works great. It's made specifically for filling in powdercoating applications.

Powders are cured at 350-425 degrees, depending on color and type of finish desired.

edit: http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Be sure to get the high temp type and a can of the solvent. Lab metal is almost like a putty, so you'll need to stir in some solvent to make it flow. You'll also need some of the solvent to pour on top of the Lab Metal when storing to keep it from drying out.

Edited by Earache

I have powdercoated small aluminum parts for a few people on here and have been asked to do wheels also. I haved turned down doing wheels mainly because i havent done them before. Steel spoked wheels i have done but PCing steel to me is way easier. Its just not as dirty. I would have hated to charge someone, have their wheels for a few days, in the end have them not like the finished product and have to get it done again someplace else. So here is my offer, I would do them for you for the price of powder (which i cant see taking more than a pound). Being a second set of wheels your bike isnt out of commision i could take my time and possibly learn a few things. In the end you could get your wheels PC'ed on the cheap and could look fantastic or they will get done on the cheap with a couple minor inperfections. If you wanted to get them re-done heck i would even give you your money back for the powder.

Let me know if your up for it.

• Upvote 1

Use Alvin's Lab Metal - High Temp.

I've used it as a filler and powdered over it loads of times and it works great. It's made specifically for filling in powdercoating applications.

Powders are cured at 350-425 degrees, depending on color and type of finish desired.

edit: http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Be sure to get the high temp type and a can of the solvent. Lab metal is almost like a putty, so you'll need to stir in some solvent to make it flow. You'll also need some of the solvent to pour on top of the Lab Metal when storing to keep it from drying out.

Thanks man, that's the stuff I'm looking for then. I'll look into this

I have powdercoated small aluminum parts for a few people on here and have been asked to do wheels also. I haved turned down doing wheels mainly because i havent done them before. Steel spoked wheels i have done but PCing steel to me is way easier. Its just not as dirty. I would have hated to charge someone, have their wheels for a few days, in the end have them not like the finished product and have to get it done again someplace else. So here is my offer, I would do them for you for the price of powder (which i cant see taking more than a pound). Being a second set of wheels your bike isnt out of commision i could take my time and possibly learn a few things. In the end you could get your wheels PC'ed on the cheap and could look fantastic or they will get done on the cheap with a couple minor inperfections. If you wanted to get them re-done heck i would even give you your money back for the powder.

Let me know if your up for it.

That's one hell of an offer, and I will probably take you up on that! I've just got new tires mounted on these last night so it will be a while next season before I burn those up, but I'm hoping a couple trackdays and some mile runs will do them in pretty quick so I can get them to you :D

Ohio Mile runs???

Yes sir, but not until next season. Just went last weekend to spectate and do a little homework on what I'll need to get in order beforehand. I've got the LSR chainguard, rear lowering links installed, drag map loaded in my PC3( to run their fuel ), and a couple rear sprockets to play with gearing. All I need to buy is a radial mount strap kit for the front end and pickup some 5w syn engine oil and the bike will be ready :D