Leaning in Corners...

ridein

I should of just took the advice you guys gave me instead of thinking i knew it all.I just get all fired up when i should just listen.after reading the post again i really got some great advice.....I am sorry if i made anybody mad.Sometime's you just say things before you think.....I really do want to be a better rider.Thanks again for the advice.....

I think you got some snide comments for two reasons: 1) it's hard for someone who is an experienced rider to imagine a question like this; leaning is a part of the experience as much as it is in sailing or flying; and 2) it's getting to be winter with the usual lack of light and crap weather; anyone who hangs around a MC forum based mostly in the Midwest/North knows that we all get pretty grumpy this time of year and the only exercise most of us get is flaming away on the keyboard; put on your thick skin and stick around until next spring; you'll be happy you did!!!

Best advice is do what feels good. If you're not racing there is little need to lean off the bike.

"little" is a bit of understatement IMHO.

I agree that you shouldn't be trying to drag a knee on the street, but isn't it safer if you're ready to, should the need arise?

Say you're taking a nice swooping right-hand turn at a comfortable pace, but oncoming traffic crosses the center-line. Wouldn't it be safer if your butt was already off the seat and in the proper position to tighten up your line?

No need to reposition your body mid-turn (which distrupts the chassis). No need to grab the brakes (which could potentially tuck the front wheel, or stand the bike up and straighten you out). No drama at all. Because you're ready.

All you would need to do is drop your chin and tighten up your line, while maintaining the same speed.

If you're sitting in the middle of the seat, tightening up your line might cause you to drag hard parts or lowside.

It's like wearing a helmet - you never go out riding expecting to crash. You're prepared for that one time it could save you.