Fork oil

bshultz0930

i think its a terrible idea lol.

essentially what your doing is decreasing damping.

which will most likely result in a sloppy ride, bike will probably wallow

it will allow the suspension to top out or bottom out.

i would say definately bottom out under hard braking.

if it calls for 10w use 10w.. i dont think ive ever heard of anyone decreasing the weight in those style forks. usually they increase the weight to try to increase some damping.

Just like motor oil, there is conventional and synthetic fork oil.

Does your ZX have fully adjustable suspension? I would stick to the 10wt. I would only go heavier (12.5 or 15) if you happen to weigh much over 200lbs or if you are tyring to solve a specific suspension weakness.

In all seriousness though, if your book is calling for 10wt. You should probably stick with that. The only time you would change the oil for a different viscosity is if you are having problems with the damping on a non-adjustable fork. Then you would go up one oil grade to firm up the forks or down a grade to soften the forks. Going from 10 down to 5 is going two steps down and like others have said, it will change your fork performance by too much and is probably not recommended.

Ok, well when my dumbass ordered the oil off eBay, the picture had a 10w bottle but deep in the description it was a 5w oil. Thankfully it was from summit racing and I don't live horribly far from there and they said I could just bring it in for exchange