Race Plastic repair updates

flounder

So I figured I would post this just for the hell of it. I bought a set of race plastics that needed some TLC and a new paint job. Here is my progress so far.

The lower when I first got it. Notice the rash and there are a couple of holes completely through the faring below the rash

IMG_5028.jpg

After some bodywork and sanding.

IMG_5042.jpg

The finished lower after paint and clearcoat.. (Rattle Can Paint Job FTW :) )

IMG_5058.jpg

The tail when I first got it.. The paint was complete crap and just falling off. You can see the paint all crinkled up in the lower left corner of where the yellow meets the black.

IMG_5033.jpg

After some bodywork and sanding

IMG_5043.jpg

I had to repair the tail where you see the pinkish color. It had a huge crack completely through it and the fiberglass was just poking out everywhere. I had to reshape that part of the tail completely.

IMG_5044.jpg

After applying a coat of black to the entire thing and taping it up to paint on the white number plates.

IMG_5059.jpg

Im still going to do some wet sanding and then pull off all the paper and hit it with clearcoat.. So the tail will be black with white number plates.

IMG_5060.jpg

Pics of the upper when it came… I hate the yellow number plates.

IMG_5035.jpg

Side pics. The black mark is actually a tire mark where someone rubbed up against him in a race.

IMG_5039.jpg

The gel coat was coming off the fiberglass all along this bottom edge so once again I had to do some repair work after pulling all the stickers and sanding the entire thing. I did the repair work last night so I havent had time to sand and shape it yet.

IMG_5040.jpg

You mean to tell me youre not a professional?

Only in certain aspects... :D

Im still not sure how the metalic paint over top the blue base coat is going to look considering the whole thing is rattle can hotness. :) I have so much shit to do this weekend its redicoulous.. My list is as follows.

For the 750

Finish sanding and painting race body work

Pull remaining stock bodywork off (headlight cowling)

Flush radiator and change to water wetter.

Chang oil/filter.

Mount race plastics

Pull tires off 750 and to swap to new tires

Mount tires back up.

Safety wire drain plug and oil filter.

Change oil/filter

Wash Wax

YZ250

Hopefully pull rear and install new tire if I have one.

Pull front tire if I have a new one, I will mount it also.

Pull off left fork

Replace oil and dust seals in left fork.

Pull and Clean air filter.

Re-install everything.

Lots o shit to do and not enough time in the day.. Im probably going to start working on shit at 8am sat morning assuming that my parts arrive by then.

Awesome job flounder!

I'm sick of the yellow/black numbers I see others have too. Awesome colors!

I noticed a Dayton Flyers shirt there. Isn't it worn out by now homes?

HAHA.. yeah I dont like yellow but if/when I get my race license, I will have to run yellow as that is the color for novice and white is the plate color for expert.

The dayton flyers "shirt" you see, is actually a fleece throw (aka blanket)

Im surprised no one mentioned the pink pleather couches.. Those were in my basement in college but its a pull out so I keep it in my spare bedroom in case anyone needs to crash here ...

Updates:

Here is the tail after the tape was pulled tonight.. I still want to put the black pinstripe tape along the edge of the white and black just to make it sharp.. After that, I will hit it with clearcoat and be done with it. I may even do a metallic blue or dark blue pinstripe just to make it stand out more against the black and white.

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

HAHA.. yeah I dont like yellow but if/when I get my race license, I will have to run yellow as that is the color for novice and white is the plate color for expert.

The dayton flyers "shirt" you see, is actually a fleece throw (aka blanket)

Im surprised no one mentioned the pink pleather couches.. Those were in my basement in college but its a pull out so I keep it in my spare bedroom in case anyone needs to crash here ...

Lol i thought those were pink!

so lets see a picture of the damage your fumble caused:slap:

That pissed me off so fucking bad.... I spent the time repairing that section only to drop the tail while it was drying and have it re-crack.. Fuck it.. Its on the bottom and you cant really see it.. Especially on the track.. Remember, this is the 50/50 paint job as I call it.. So if I pass you 50ft away at 50mph, you will never know its a rattle can paint job..

Fucker,, thanks for bringing that up asshole. :nono:

yeah your "repairs" shouldn't crack when you drop them out of your hand. Stop being a cheap ass and go buy some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.

It was a small crack about 1/2 inch long on the underside of the tail.. No need for resin/fiber.. Of course I wasnt expecting to drop it directly on the tip of the tail while it was drying either.. Im sure I will have to pick up some resin/fiber when/if I crash in it. Fingers crossed hoping I dont but ya never know. So do you want to get those rearset plates for autocad or what? I dont think Im doing Bike night tonight.. Probably just going to hit brazenhead as usual.

yeah your "repairs" shouldn't crack when you drop them out of your hand. Stop being a cheap ass and go buy some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.

It was a small crack about 1/2 inch long on the underside of the tail.. No need for resin/fiber.. Of course I wasnt expecting to drop it directly on the tip of the tail from 4 ft while it was drying either.. Im sure I will have to pick up some resin/fiber when/if I crash in it. Fingers crossed hoping I dont but ya never know. So do you want to get those rearset plates to mock autocad or what? I dont think Im doing Bike night tonight.. Probably just going to hit brazenhead as usual. Any luck with the graduated beaker/cylinder?

No jokes, Flounder you did a hell of a job....

Ok jokes now...

What if I sit behind you just looking it over then pass you????

I will just paint an arrow pointing behind and beside me with the word HOMO so it points to whoever is around me. :D:tongue:

What local places sell this?..i need to mod my ramair soon :cool:

You can buy small quanities at any auto place (advance, auto zone ect) or even lowes and home depot. There is a certain "shelf life" to the resins so if you want to be sure go to napa or there is a bodywork place neir the corner of morse and cleveland. They sell so much so their stock is always fresh.

One a side note I have only bought one batch of resin that gave me problems, so it is unlikely but it usually fucks up the part you are working on.