Bloggomania

Unk Greg

Just back from family wedding function....huh? say wha? Yeah, down in Knoxville. Y'all know, the north end of SR129? Played a bit on north end Saturday before the wedding....wife reaffirmed that she would never ride on the back of the bike with me, especially on this road. Survived the wedding, reception after and as quite a few of us were at the same hotel....the after the reception party. Hotel was very nice, we managed to rearrange the lobby as the numbers of party folks grew.....whiskey and wine cheap down there....hotel not only didn't mind the bottles sitting on tables, they even opened the wine for us, no cheap twist off caps for us classy folks. I left my handy-dandy pocket knife with cork screw in Ohio.

Sleep? Who needs sleep? Sunday saw me sticking around and ran the Dragon both directions, picked a bit of 441 and a nice chunk of NCa 28, the return loop back to Deal's Gap store. Not much traffic....a grand total of 4 bikes....one sportbike, one Goldwing, an adventure bike and a Beemer with two up. Some sportie car folks....I talked with them a bit. I saw them messing with the left front on the Honda Prelude....figured that he clipped a rock...nope they were sticking the go-pro on. The guy on the Beemer yelled at me, to take his picture as he motored away. Momma has now declared her position on riding in the SUV with me. While only having that, I managed to pace the sportie car group fairly well until the screaming started....that damped the fun. The other noises were fun to hear, squalling tires of a big ole SUV, and general groaning of the beast......will have the brakes worked on now that we are back home.

Not so good, was sitting in a vast parking lot otherwise known as I75. A pickup had flipped somewhere up in front and then a semi turned over and trailer laid across 2 lanes. After 2 hrs we were back on our way. I knew I shoulda cut across to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, for old times sake and took 40 across to I77 and back north...nope, I instead sat trapped on the interstate. I do admit to looking at the embankment and thinking ...all wheel drive, I could chug up to the side road.....more fun as we got near Cincinnati and were greeted by the snowstorm. All wheel drive and I motored along, of course my original arrival time at home, was now extended, several times. My wife has me confused....she took along a pillow to help her relax. I though ya put it behind yer head.....not her, each time I passed folks in the snow, she had it over her face????

Anybody know what it means when the OHP flashes their spot lite from across the median at you? I found it a bit distracting having lite in yer face as you slushed on by slower traffic....I mean, jeez, I was up to a whopping 30 mph in some spots. Travelled across Ohio at 15 to 30 mph.....adjusted arrival time alot!

Folks down there enjoyed sooo much that the suggestion was to do this every year....hmmm, I could give a shout to the sportie car folks from years gone by and do a reunion of the hill climbers.

So no traffic on the Dragon's Tail early Spring....it was sunny on Sunday afternoon and 61*.....y'all know what Sunday was like up here in Ohio.

Momma didn't care for the off road excursion in NCa for the two lots on the mtn top either....mud will wash off...."Look out for those ruts", she yelled. No worries dear...all wheel drive .......

Spring rite of passage anyone?

Pretty sure Knoxville, but right near Cherokee Trail facility and a few miles to 129. It'd be another 20 or so to actual Dragon's.

Only noticed hotel locked up the room where the real glass -glassware was, but we found the cache of styrofoam cups and continued on....to bed at 5am and checked out @10:30am....come to think of it I did notice a uniform guy walk by us in the lobby a coupla times. And Sunday after cavorting a Sheriff's car rode by.

We were at Hampton and Holiday Inn, same guy owns both, just off I75.

It was near a Waffle House, if that helps ya.......LOL now!

Sportie Car Event was last full weekend in April, by that I mean, Friday, Sat. And Sunday were still April dates. Always was nice weather, standing on the mountain side in tee shirts. Event is no more, sadly.

So reunion thoughts lean towards the ole End of April dates. Esmeralda Inn has burnt down, but think Lake Lure Inn is still there.....it's next month....revival anyone??? Uh, without the snake handling of course.

Dang, just remembered....forgot to bring home some EverClear. Now I will hafta go back.....(1.75 liter bottles of booze $8.99).....smuggling against the law?

We were at Hampton and Holiday Inn, same guy owns both, just off I75.

It was near a Waffle House, if that helps ya.......LOL now!

I believed you when you said you kept up with the sports cars in your SUV, but a Holiday Inn near a Waffle House? No way. Now you're making s*** up.

Ha! Reset....sister lives 4 miles from Hotel....she lives in Sieverville....there was a Mini Meet East down there years ago....prolee have vcr tapes on it...smiling.

Lance...awesome swaying and accompanying growning sounds.....I think I did use up a lot of the brakes....can only imagine the sidewall distortion on the lumbering beast......somewhere there is video taken from the left front fender of a Honda Prelude....it may be hard to see...green SUV...and greenery...blended in. Screaming wife...left earplugs back home with fancy pocket knife....so needed to do the pull off thing and let the kids zoom by....absolutely great time. I'm ready to go back....I have always enjoyed the Ca. Mtns....

Me...I would trailer bike and carry gas supply....only ethanol blends found.....but it was 3.30 per gallon. Whisky may have been cheaper!

Fuck lake lure! Those roads are not bus friendly!!!! The looked awesome for a bike ride though! And don't feel too bad not taking 77 it was shut down just inside of WV going north bound due to a rock slide. Traffic was down to one lane and detoured 20 miles out of the way.... Ask me how I know :mad:

Plus One on not bus friendly, or trailer towing....you can see your trlr tail lights in your side mirrors while negotiating them switchbacks.

Ooo, so glad I missed the i77 slide - I had actually started to head in that direction, but turned back from going to Bryson to get 40 east, but jumped on 28 and back towards the Dragon.

Yessiree absolutely fun roads down there!

Sevierville is a great town. Back when I still drank I spent a few nights drinking in the area and always had a good time. It's hard to find a bad road down there except in Pigeon Forge the shoppers take getting to the sales very seriously and don't like obstacles in their way.

UP, Back at ya....while down there i saw there was a forest fire at Pigeon Forge....saw it on TV. And, looking over recpts....momma found malls, Knoxville, Farragut....apparently the four outfits she bought up here in Ohio weren't enough for the one wedding....smiling anyway.

Almost went back down this weekend....got to thinking about Lake Lure and y'all had me talked into it.....will see if I can get the sportie car hill climbers talked into a reunion on the once annual last weekend in April. Chimney Rock Hillclimb, quit after 50 runnings....someone started another at Boone Mtn....but it was farther north and having packed like I woulda for Chimbley....I ended up wearing all my clothes packed at one time to try and stay warm....ski resorts propped the doors open for the tourists, but I don't think that they run the Hillclimb anymore....sportie car took out a memorial/monument during the sprint up the mtn. See advantage bikes....smaller holes when ya hit things!!!

Chimney Rock, according to the wedding guests, Louis and deb, is no longer owned by family, NCa is trying to make it a state park.....be nice.....the last two brochures I got eons ago, hawked lots in a gated community, starting at $150,000. Man did their marketing miss me....couple said that all fell thru and family no longer owns. Yea, great roads...I wanna go back....seester should have an extra room now that kid is married off.....I got a plan! Smiles..

GenFly....re busses, only the inside rear tire would be off the ground in them tight switchbacks.....maybe get everyone to jump around and lean, it'd be like sailing!

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles