Noob: 9mm options/ alternatives?

YSR_Racer_99

Haven't shot a lot of pistols, but rented a 9mm at Vandalia today and it "feels right". I like the weight, the grip, the pull, etc. I forgot to check the manufacturer (whoops). Can get it next time I go up.

This is not a smaller CCW version.

Thoughts on brands, alternatives, or things I should know/ consider in general??

TIA

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test all the full size plastic 9mms, glock, m&p, XD(m). Pick the one that feels the best. Shoot a shit ton. Go from there.

This would be a good idea so you don't miss out on a better fit for yourself. 9mm ammo isn't as abundant as say .40 or .45 but that should change.

This would be a good idea so you don't miss out on a better fit for yourself. 9mm ammo isn't as abundant as say .40 or .45 but that should change.

Thats funny. Just got off of the phone with my brother and he said that 9mm ammo is easier to find than 40 as 40 is a more popular caliber/ gun.

Not doubting you, just saying...

Kind of like a motorcycle tire discussion.

9mm is (usually) considerably cheaper than .40 or .45 though.

Break it down by cost per round, and then picture yourself throwing quarters and silver dollars down range...

actually, never mind. It's probably best NOT to think about it! But make your choice, and then buy in bulk.

Thats funny. Just got off of the phone with my brother and he said that 9mm ammo is easier to find than 40 as 40 is a more popular caliber/ gun.

Not doubting you, just saying...

Kind of like a motorcycle tire discussion.

We always look for .40 but guys as work have been saying it seems 9mm isn't on the shelves as often as the larger calibers or maybe disappears faster? :dunno:

If you know where there's plenty to be had around Dayton let me know so I can pass that along

whaddya you want to do with it?

carry it (after training and procurement of your CHL)?

home defense?

just to shoot targets at the range?

as has been said, Glock, M&P (Smith & Wesson), XD-S or M (Springfield Armory), most any full-size will be someone's favorite, and all brands have their fans.

9mm costs less than .40, assuming you can find either.

9mm is a great place to start. Yeah, right now it's not cheap and as easy to find as it used to be, but once all this nonsense is over, it will return that way. Get a full size to help with learning to shoot, then decide if you want more power, smaller size, more bling, etc. from there. A basic full size 9mm is a great place to start. I've got a star 9mm from years ago that has been my introduction to semi autos piece for any new shooter who wants to try. I've now got a half dozen or so 9mm's, and a couple other calibers in the pile, but that gun still gets range time with a noob every so often.

Glock 26 :D

:popcorn:

Here we go....

I personally like the Springfield Armory line of pistols. XD is the simplest form, XDm is the match grade barrels and lighter triggers. XDs is their slim line specifically made for conceal carry I have an XD9 which is great gun for a target shooting. The generally cost around 450-600 depending on the length if barrel and whether its a Bitone, or straight black. I also have the XDs .45 which is a beast of a shooter. Definitely not for someone who is new to guns.

As everyone is saying 99% of the battle right now is finding ammo for the gun, not just finding the gun you like. Many would probably tell you if you have a home defense weapon you might wanna wait to see if the shortage lets up a little and certain calibers become more available.

Other wise the best place I've found ammo is at gun shows. But you pay thru the nose for it! You'd think if you had to pay to get in you'd get a price break, not a 200% mark up. But if $50 for 50 rounds of 9mm sounds like a bargain to you, go for it.:rolleyes:

9mm has its advantages over .40 S&W. It is slightly less expensive to shoot, pistols will generally have a higher capacity with 9mm, 15 rounds of 9 are lighter than 15 of .40, and it also has less felt recoil. Some will argue stopping power...but it all really comes down to shot placement. The 9mm is abundantly able to incapacitate and kill if it hits it's mark.

Go back to the gun store and fondle everything in the case...everything. What is pleasing to the eye can sometimes differ from what is pleasing to the hand...so try the ugly ones too. Narrow your choice to 3 or 4 models, then go home. Do some research on specific models and ask around. Go back to GS and ask for those models you chose last visit and try them again. You will find a winner. Also before final purchase I like to see two examples of the same gun at the same time. This will help to spot any dings, blemishes or bad triggers. Do a close inspection for cosmetic issues.

As long as you stick with a major manufacturer its difficult to find a poorly made pistol these days. I have a personal rule of not buying "betas". If the pistol has any issues, usually it will show up in the first 6-12 months after release. I have to admit I have violated this rule a couple times. :)

Aftermarket/factory support can also be a factor to be considered.

Maybe the OP should pay a visit to Old English Outfitters. They have ammo in stock, albeit 2 boxes per day per person, they verify with your ID.

They have had seemingly regular shipments. Unlike Vandalia Tactical, Vandalia Armory and so many other places. But then again they are higher priced too. Tula ammo 9mm for $15 and Remington flat nose for close to $20 for 50 rounds. Basically higher end of normal.

As for a decent price. I've been happy with my S&W sd40ve and maybe the SD 9VE would be an inexpensive option? ;)

they are definitely higher priced. I paid 18.99 for some blazer brass 9mm the other day. Felt like i had just dropped the fucking soap down at county

I know the feeling but I guess if you only buy what you need to shoot you can keep the hurt down to a minimum. And it is better than what you'd pay on gunbot.net.:eek:

I know the feeling but I guess if you only buy what you need to shoot you can keep the hurt down to a minimum. And it is better than what you'd pay on gunbot.net.:eek:

I need to get the wife some range time with the 9mm. Shes taking her CHL class next month.

I need to get the wife some range time with the 9mm. Shes taking her CHL class next month.

Most CHL classes do a great job educating people about the basics. What some don't seem to teach as well is maintenance and clearing jams. Get some dummy rounds so she can practice chambering and clearing. Also let he learn to disassemble and clean the gun. After the class is a better time for training on shooting. That way she can build on what she learned instead of having to battle preconceived ideas.

Get a full size to help with learning to shoot, then decide if you want more power, smaller size, more bling, etc. from there.

This^^ My XD .45 is WAYY easier to use with less recoil and better accuracy than my Glock 26, but the Glock is a lot smaller so thats to be expected. The 45 would be easier to learn on though.

Here we go....

I personally like the Springfield Armory line of pistols. XD is the simplest form, XDm is the match grade barrels and lighter triggers. XDs is their slim line specifically made for conceal carry I have an XD9 which is great gun for a target shooting. The generally cost around 450-600 depending on the length if barrel and whether its a Bitone, or straight black. I also have the XDs .45 which is a beast of a shooter. Definitely not for someone who is new to guns.

I am actually liking the slim XDm9, the Glock is a bit of a chunkster for a skinny guy like myself during the summer months. If it had a single stack variant it would be perfect.

I am actually liking the slim XDm9, the Glock is a bit of a chunkster for a skinny guy like myself during the summer months. If it had a single stack variant it would be perfect.

I ended up with an xdm compact 9 when doing some trading. I liked it enough to declare it a keeper. The wife shot it and declared it hers. :wtf:

I now have two of them. But now that both kids are shooting it as well, I wouldn't be surprised if I add a couple more before long.

This^^ My XD .45 is WAYY easier to use with less recoil and better accuracy than my Glock 26, but the Glock is a lot smaller so thats to be expected. The 45 would be easier to learn on though.

I wasnt aware that SA made a slim XDm. They have the XD, XDm, and XDs line. The XDs is the slim line. I have the XDs and its a sweet concealment weapon