Noob: 9mm options/ alternatives?

YSR_Racer_99

Plus one on the xd line. I am waiting for the xds in 9mm. Its out but have yet to see one an no shop has been able to order me one yet? Gonna replace my lc9 with one when they become available.

I spoke with SA last month about when they should be readily available, they said they should be seeing them in shops more readily around the end of april.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for a beginner go with the 9mm. you will have an easier time building the fundamentals and still have a carry worthy round when looking at power factor. You wont be disappointed with any of the new modern polymer guns. Depending on what you wanna do with it would weigh on what size and brand so you need to be honest with yourself and answer that first before you start throwing money at something that might not fit your needs down the road.

dont overlook the beretta 92 all metal gun. nice balance

+1, especially when equipped with Pachmeyer grips. I've owned match-grade Colts that weren't as pleasant to shoot as the 92FS, and it's a stellar full-sized home protection weapon.

Forget about it as a deep concealment option though... ;-)

The XDs is what I meant haha

I love my XDs man. It is a really great carry weapon. Ive tried riding my bike with it in my IWB holster but I just didnt like the feel so I ordered a concealment shirt http://masterofconcealment.com/pgroup_descrip/104_Concealment+Clothing/7296_UnderTech+Undercover+Concealment+Tank+Top/?mode=image

I love my XDs man. It is a really great carry weapon. Ive tried riding my bike with it in my IWB holster but I just didnt like the feel so I ordered a concealment shirt http://masterofconcealment.com/pgroup_descrip/104_Concealment+Clothing/7296_UnderTech+Undercover+Concealment+Tank+Top/?mode=image

Nice concept but no fat man sizes?

Damn, I think I am going to the gun shop tomorrow to look at some slim models after looking at all the good options. The M&P Shield, XDs(which will be in 9mm soon), Keltec PF-9, Walther PPS etc. Any others I should look at, preferably in 9mm?

Im an XD fan myself. I just like the lines and the feel. The way they shoot, it really depends on how much your willing to spend, I love the Beretta 92FS, you cant go wrong with a Sig Sauer, Kimber, hell if you REALLY wanna get ambitious, go to Vandalia Range and Armory and get a Falcon Arms .45

CZ 75 gets my vote. I say stick with 9mm. 9mm, .40, .45acp, none of them have any stopping power. Round count is always the biggest factor IMO when it comes to pistol calibers.

If you're looking to conceal this gun at all take a look at Kahr as well.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Thank you all VERY much for some good thoughts. It was a Springfield Armory that I used yesterday. At this point, not concentrating on concealed carry, and from watching threads on here, guns are like motorcycles (for most of us): Gonna have more than one, because no one machine (gun) will fit the bill for all that I want to do. Will check out Old English and Vandalia Tactical, too, for points of reference.

Thanks again, very appreciated.

9mm is fun to shoot, low recoil, and lower cost. Good shot placement and ammunition will drop a bad guy.

Just about every manufacturer makes a weapon chambered in 9mm. Hard to beat an Springfield Armory XD, a Sig Sauer P226, or a Smith and Wesson M&P for their ammo capacity and cost.

Stay away from 1911's in 9mm. They just don't seem to run consistently (The exception is the Springfield EMP). If you do choose that route, a 5" barrel is recommended, a 4.25" at bare minimum.