Helmet crackling

Tigerpaw

I got a new Bell Vortex XL helmet.

When I get above 45 mph, I hear loud snaps, crackles, and pops. This happens regardless of vent position. I have never dropped or otherwise jarred this helmet. I assume it has something to do with the Styrofoam protection, but don't see any loose or broken bits. I may be able to return it, but it was through Amazon.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming that you don't hear anything rolling around if you tumble the lid around in your hands. Maybe put it on and blow some compressed air into each vent. Maybe you could do that and isolate it to a potential one or two that might simply have something lose inside? If you can find something like a vent cover that is damaged perhaps you have grounds for a replacement.

Problem solved. Tigerpaw is an idiot. Helmet was never the problem.

So...I take the 300 out with a different helmet and still hear the noise. I realize it must be my new textile Cortech jacket. Maybe the different layers of material or something. Maybe a vent is open. I continue to be dumb and press on with my ride, for hours. Stop for gas. Check all 100 zipper/vents, all closed. Continue to hear it, stop again. The light bulb in my head went off...all those zippers have real long pull strings...for gloved use. I spent ten minutes taking them off. was able to ride a few more hours, in quiet, but mad I didn't think of it earlier.

Maybe I can dodge the rain today(Easter) and get some less frustrated seat time in.

That is funny. I don't think I've ever noticed much, I just reach for the offending item and tuck it in. There's always something flapping in the breeze.

Those little pull strings can actually flap around and open the zipper and empty the pocket. I've seen that happen on backpacks.

You fixated on that new helmet. Ha.