School me on e-print and laser vs bj

idodishez

Found a Brother printer with their version of eprint. I THOUGHT you could print from your iphone as long as you're connected to the Internet. (Even over 3G). Turns out its only if you're on the same Wifi as the printer. So, are they ALL like this? Or are there some that do in fact allow printing over 3G? Does HP's e-print allow this?

Also, while trying to research this, I found that HP claims their bubble jet printers cost 50% less (on a cost per page basis) than laser printers. I was thought that even though the cost for laser toner is more up front,that it was still cheaper in the long run due to the short life and extreme prices of ink cartridges. Has this changed?

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

I got a eprint printer. You just email or text to the printer's email address, from where ever, no wifi needed. Pretty slick. Your printer needs to be turned on and connected to the Internet some how if you want it printed when you get home otherwise you turn it on later and the stuff prints. You can set permissions so the printer only accepts jobs from your email or text. It's a HP from radio shack with Bluetooth.

Edited by Gump

ePrint is HP's cloud-printing service.

I'd go with Google Cloud (unless you're a Google-hater) - should work on most any device .

Unless you're printing A LOT or you need every print job to look perfectly, go with an inkjet. By the time the black ink runs out, plop down another $40-50 for a new printer - it'll be cheaper than buying refills.

Color laser refills are ~$70/each x 3 (magenta,yellow,cyan), plus ~$80 for black.

The $200 color laser printers have about the same print quality as a $50 inkjet.

ePrint is HP's cloud-printing service.

I'd go with Google Cloud (unless you're a Google-hater) - should work on most any device .

Unless you're printing A LOT or you need every print job to look perfectly, go with an inkjet. By the time the black ink runs out, plop down another $40-50 for a new printer - it'll be cheaper than buying refills.

Color laser refills are ~$70/each x 3 (magenta,yellow,cyan), plus ~$80 for black.

The $200 color laser printers have about the same print quality as a $50 inkjet.

I haven't had an inkjet printer in a long time. Is the ink cartridge dying up still an issue? I really like my Samsung color laser that I've had for about 3 years. I don't print much at all and it always works. I DID spend more on refill toner than I paid for the printer, but it should last me a LONG time!

I have and HP with ePrint. I can print from either of our phones and tablet while on WiFi or 3g/4g. The ink cartridges are cheaper than others but I paid a little more for the printer. I find the cheaper the printer, the more the ink...the more the printer, the less the ink.. usually a good rule of thumb. I can also scan to my phone on WiFi, has a document feeder and prints two sided. I really am happy with it.

I plan on a multi function that can also copy and scan, so not sure a $50 printer is an option. The ones I've been looking at are between 300 and $400. Just don't understand HP's claim that their inkjets are 50% lest ccp than laser.

And I guess there is a difference between e print and air print. Air print is specifically for iOS. Eliminates need for apps or emailing to printer. Just not sure if it works over 3G

I go LJ, because the ink will dry up before I use it all on a IJ. I like the HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175nw I got from MicroCenter. Does the ePrint and the air print, Wireless or wired.

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-LaserJet/CE866A?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-116342991-2&003=6572471&010=CE866A%2523BGJ#BGJ&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

I go LJ, because the ink will dry up before I use it all on a IJ. I like the HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175nw I got from MicroCenter. Does the ePrint and the air print, Wireless or wired.

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-LaserJet/CE866A?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-116342991-2&003=6572471&010=CE866A%2523BGJ#BGJ&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

After much debate, going back and forth, and talking w a sales rep who actually knew what he was talking about (I would call him a printer geek) I went with this one, but they actually had it for $50 less. Woo hoo!

Was also lucky enough to find a manufacture rep on site while I was there. Not just a sales clerk. That helped a lot. Kind of boils down to "pay me now or pay me later". But laser does still win with superior print and build quality

Thanks for all the input guys.