Lowering my r6

Mr Anderson

How would you describe the intention of the makers of the r6? I got a call and a letter from them. Im just wondering what you think they want out of people riding on the street.

I would say it is a track bike with lights' designed to put the whip to. Especially in the twisty bits.

fine i'll go into more detail.. from some one that doesn't do just track.. my wife 5'3" has had her bike lowered in 2 settings the first was 4 inches on her CBR the thing pretty much scraped the damn road. THIS WAS BEFORE SHE EVER DID A TRACK DAY anytime she took a corner at moderate street speed meaning say the exit ramp from sawmill to 270E at about 30... she would scrap pegs that is an adverse handling reaction... the bike was always extremely hard to start to turn.. meaning at slower speeds the bike took significantly more effort to turn the bike from a stop or traffic speeds. this also means that at higher speeds your reaction time goes up.. why because of the initial effort it takes to turn the bike...

second time.. we raised the bike 2 inches... now things changed the bike was easier to maneuver the bike would still scrap hard parts but honestly now at higher speeds.. mimic the same corner instead of 30 it was at about 40-45..

is that worth it to be able to back up? I mean serious just get off the damn bike and walk it back..

in the end.. Mr Anderson I don't care what you do... my answer isn't any more right or wrong that anyone elses.. I am offering an observational opinion based on real world results.. if you only want to be able to back it up for the reason of lowering good for you.. but my wife.. has no problem.. peg legging at stops.. even in high wind no issues... and then just getting off her bike when she wants to back it up and walking it into a spot.. IMO that is a better option that the possibility of dragging hard parts in the off chance to get a little froggy and hit a turn faster than normal.. or you have to avoid a dipshit cutting you off and its harder to do so..

enjoy your choice

Yes, that makes more since to me than your first comment. I never really thought about backing it up the other way. I will just go with that for now and thank you for your info. I don't plan on lowering the r6 it was just a thought and if it really does effect it then I will leave it the way it is. peg legging at stops on one foot is easy for me and dont ever really have both feet on the ground and I only thought about both feet for backing up purposes to answers papas question. But just a new ride for me and a lot more hp than the slow 250r. Im still no expert at turning on this r6 and it will be nice to go on the group rides.

I would say it is a track bike with lights' designed to put the whip to. Especially in the twisty bits.

Well I am no track expert but I do plan on getting a track bike in a year or so. I will try my best to meet those high Standards but will take it easy at first. The jump from the 250 to the r6 was huge. Fastest I could push the 250 to was 107mph and that was on nice day. Still felt slow but I did not even push the r6 to red line and I was going 120mph. I did not mean to start some kind of bs thread but just wanted to make the right choice and thought I would ask the or people. Hope to see you all soon and thanks for the replies.

I don't really have any input in this sine I ride a GSXR and have never even took a short ride on an R6. But in the end, most if not ALL of these "Track only" guys/gals have and will continue to put more miles on the street than a lot of these "street riders". Actually most could not ride a single track event for a season and still put more miles on their bike in a year than most OR members do. That being said, they are also the ones that study and research things like this not just for the track but for overal practicality.

I.P., I'd say you pretty much summed up this thread.

Thanks for your help and advice and I plan on going to the track next year. Do you no longer have a street bike?

For Real? Its a $40 part and an hour of his time to do a completely reversible mod.

What is the problem with him trying it out and deciding for himself?

I think we successfully made a mountain out of a molehill

Fully agree, thinking the cases of "limestone vagitis" may be playing a part in some of the advice here. There is middle ground between slamming a bike 4" and stock height, making it*more*enjoyable for him at just an inch or 2 drop. Afterall, this is a streetbike the he rides to appreciate riding in general. I say, if it inspires confidence to have better footing.....just do it. Cheap, easy, and totally reversible at any time.

Fully agree, thinking the cases of "limestone vagitis" may be playing a part in some of the advice here. There is middle ground between slamming a bike 4" and stock height, making it*more*enjoyable for him at just an inch or 2 drop. Afterall, this is a streetbike the he rides to appreciate riding in general. I say, if it inspires confidence to have better footing.....just do it. Cheap, easy, and totally reversible at any time.

+1 There's no reason not to do it.

Didn't bother reading the whole thread, but did anyone mention backing off a bit of suspension preload to get a bit more sag to make it more comfortable?

edit: shitty beat me by 2 minutes lol

I helped a buddy lower his CBR600rr with a three position dog bone kit, initially we set it to the lowest and determined that the middle adjustment was what was needed, slide the fork tubes up inside the triple clamps, THEN altered the kickstand so the thing wouldn't fall over. He loved it, was born with one leg shorter than other - this lowering helped his confidence

yep

We are talking abut dropping an R6 for safety when standing or maneuvering the bike. I bet increasing the sag will solve their problem and not change anything since like I said before most people on the street don't even use the suspension they have now or know how to set it up correctly.