Lowering my r6

Mr Anderson

I decided that I need to lower my r6. The stock height is too tall for me and it is hard to reverse and don't feel safe about it. I tip toe it and I had no problem with my 250 because my feet could reach the ground. I can still ride it with no problem and put down one foot at a traffic light. Should I be concerned with the r6 performance as I had heard it will change the handling and might feel tight? Has anyone done this or is it Im just short. Im 5 foot 6 inches tall. Any thoughts before I do this? I was thinking 1 or 2 inches. This will not be a track bike. Thanks in advance.

Lowering deff is not good at all for handling. I would suggest you keep on the tip toe method and when reversing get off bike and push it.

Damn this sucks being short and I did not think about pushing it around lol. Thanks Gixxie but if I did lower it why would it be bad on the handling?

i highly suggest not molesting the height unless you've decided it's super critical. here are the list of things i would do before lowering the bike:

-wear shoes/boots with a thick sole to give you an extra inch or so. i find this helped me a lot with my motard when i had it. thing was taller than motherfucking mutombo.

-shatter your leg bones and surgically re-arrange them while stretching them so they heal and make you taller.

-find a magic lamp, use one of the 3 wishes to be 2 inches taller. EVERYWHERE

-just facking deal with it

buuuuuuuuuuuuut, if you HAVE to lower it, you can usually buy and install a lowering kit thing without impacting steering or handling too much, provided you don't lower it too much. personally, i wouldnt drop it more than an inch.

i highly suggest not molesting the height unless you've decided it's super critical. here are the list of things i would do before lowering the bike:

-wear shoes/boots with a thick sole to give you an extra inch or so. i find this helped me a lot with my motard when i had it. thing was taller than motherfucking mutombo.

-shatter your leg bones and surgically re-arrange them while stretching them so they heal and make you taller.

-find a magic lamp, use one of the 3 wishes to be 2 inches taller. EVERYWHERE

-just facking deal with it

buuuuuuuuuuuuut, if you HAVE to lower it, you can usually buy and install a lowering kit thing without impacting steering or handling too much, provided you don't lower it too much. personally, i wouldnt drop it more than an inch.

2 inches everywhere.....This :D

Here is another good reason not to lower, this guy lowered his pegs but lowering bike would have same effect I would think.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwLTRf1MU6I

But...you would have to pretty far over for that to happen

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 2talltim

Definitely do not lower that bike if at all possible.

I got used to flat footing one foot at a light or tip toeing it, if I need to back up I hopped off and pushed it back.

I like numbers, so I try to put things in a numerical perspective for decisions like this. You're feet are on the pegs and you're riding and comfortable 90-95% of the total time out but you're trying to fix something that would only be a problem maybe 5-10% of the time. The cons outweight the pros in this case.

Definitely do not lower that bike if at all possible.

I got used to flat footing one foot at a light or tip toeing it, if I need to back up I hopped off and pushed it back.

I like numbers, so I try to put things in a numerical perspective for decisions like this. You're feet are on the pegs and you're riding and comfortable 90-95% of the total time out but you're trying to fix something that would only be a problem maybe 5-10% of the time. The cons outweight the pros in this case.

Thanks Nathan I will not lower it since its only a problem when reversing. I will just get off the r6 and walk it. Don't want to mess with handling if it makes that big of a difference. I like the numbers.

Bowdog I'm not selling it for a stupid scooter lol. The problem is not riding it is just reversing which as Nathan pointed is only like 5-10% of the time. Look forward to meeting you.

shit I can barely walk my VFR in reverse due to weight and height and I've never once considered lowering it just cause I can get my lazy fat ass off it to roll backwards if needed so excellent decision to NOT lower it

I would first see if you can narrow your seat. Strange as it sounds this can make a big difference.

For street riding? I wouldn't sweat lowing your bike a little. I don't think you would really notice it as far as riding. Most people only use 1/4 of the travel in their suspension anyways on the street.

Besides 5'6 how much do you weigh?

At 5'7" and a whole inch taller, I can't believe you would need to lower the R6. My 675 has a much higher seat height and its not an issue. You can get shorter/narrower seats and get some proper riding boots with a nice thick sole and you should be good.

If you must lower it, realize you are messing with the suspension geometry. Read up on it, and make sure you're lowering the front by raising the forks through the triple clamps so that the front is lowered equally. People say don't lower it, yet some of the short AMA riders do it and I bet their bikes handle just fine. But they've done a lot to keep rake/trail at proper angles and ratios.

At 5'7" and a whole inch taller, I can't believe you would need to lower the R6. My 675 has a much higher seat height and its not an issue. You can get shorter/narrower seats and get some proper riding boots with a nice thick sole and you should be good.

If you must lower it, realize you are messing with the suspension geometry. Read up on it, and make sure you're lowering the front by raising the forks through the triple clamps so that the front is lowered equally. People say don't lower it, yet some of the short AMA riders do it and I bet their bikes handle just fine. But they've done a lot to keep rake/trail at proper angles and ratios.

I have sat on the 675 its not that much taller and I did not have a problem with it either. I'm not going to lower it. Just not use to the height difference between the 250r and the r6. Just bought it a week ago.