07 gsxr600 suspension

bchristy07

I picked up a fairly stock 07 gsxr600 a few weeks ago. The shock and forks are both stock, so I ended up ordering a penske 8983 double clicker yesterday. I'm unsure on what to do with the forks, so I'm looking for those on here that may have had experience with the 07 and the geometry setup. Does the 07 require the fork cap extenders? A friend has an 06 with the extenders and said it made a huge difference for him, but wasn't so sure the 07's needed it. Any opinions on what to do internally with the forks without killing the wallet?

Yep, and they are not cheap, hence why i don't have them. I did lower my forks at Jennings to flush and saw a huge difference just from that. AFJ Shop said they also can mill down the front stem some and basically does the ssame thing, just easier/cheaper.

Before dropping the coin on them, I would definitely ride it, we can drop the forks pretty quick at the track if needed. I rode 2 years with them sitting in OEM placement and was fine, but it did make a difference in the turns for sure.

I can mill down the top triple also.

I think that is what they said, whatever it was it was milling something down. I have a machine shop in Mansfield that I'm friends with, but will remember that you have access too.

I felt like just lowering the forks that tiny amount made a HUGE difference though.

Do not mil down the triple. Thinner is less strong and in a racing application, milling cast aluminum is not advised. Take the time to save and get the extenders as even at milling the triples, you won't get it up high enough for the trail needed.

Buy the extenders. Milling is not advised...

The fork extenders are deff nice! You deff pay the price for them. The geometry loves them down farther than any stock parts allow. I have seen a handfull of racers mill the center of top tree 5mm and it gets u that much closer. I have never felt it to be unsafe at all? The machinist that did one for me said there was plenty of meat on the bone because that center pivot point was overly strong while the outer parts were the weak link. Either way you deff want to get those forks down and ass up!

Gixxie gave me a really good quote too for what i needed done, I just decided I had to wait until after the season. I did swap swingarms and lube everything, but his price was definitely fair and time frame was good too. Maybe I'll win on a scratchoff and have some free coin to bring the ride down there sooner than later.

5 mil isn't enough. And, if you alter the triple clamps, you should go with a CNC machined set. The thickness is determined from research as to weight and strength. Meaning, you go and shave off 5mil, you are weakening the strength designed into the triples.

I don't think 5 mil is going to cause issue, either. However, I just don't like seeing guys mess with things that are important like triples and such.

As for racers, the extenders are what most if not all use. Yes, you can skimp, but if doing that, you might as well just ride around the issue because if you cannot afford $200, in the grand scheme of things - racing may be too expensive a hobby. $200 is less than a set of tires and if you get them and a quality set of suspension components, the tire life of your bike will increase and you'd probably save $200 by end of the year...

Well i have to join Liz here. If you can buy the extenders you prob should be able to put good valves in there instead. As for a machinist making extenders that may cost a ton more,but I don't machine.. I offer up things I have seen and tricks of the trade. Either way u win with GSXR lol