Scavenger hunt/ help me find a bolt

2talltim

I recently installed a set of mirror risers on my wifes vstar, it came with bolts but the left side is stainless standard thread, and the right is machined aluminum REVERSE thread(i guess the seller/maker could not locate any stainless reverse threaded ones so he made his own) When I instaled them i did get them on but the head of the one bolt felt so soft and if i ever have to adjust or remove them it will have bad results. So my chalenge to you is to find me a 10mm reverse thread stainless bolt at least 3/4" long threads. A zinc plated steal one would be a good replacement to. So you interwebz search Gods do you magic.

here is the style bolt i need i believe its called a socket head

Din_912_Hexagon_Socket_Head_Cap_Screws.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

To even complicate matters further, you'll need to know and specify the thread pitch you're looking for. A 10 mm bolt comes in both a coarse in 1.5 mm pitch (used commonly for automotive apps) and a fine pitch, which comes in either 1.0 or 1.25 mm pitch...

Know anyone in the machine tool industry who would make one for ya?

Measure to be sure. That's not the standard thread pitch for M10 fasteners.

I'm 99% sure it is, it's the threads that the mirror normally screws into

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've been machining for over 25yrs.. This is a first?? what a$$hat would put a left thread @ 10mm in a part???

I'm almost wanting to say theres something fishy here about that.. are you sure that what it is??? Wonder where he got a tap?

I would most immediately re-tap it for a standard socket head cap screw (that's what you have there) .

I'd chase it with a 3/8"-16 tap in a NewYork minute. there will be enough thread to engage. if not go 7/16"

On mirrors, one is threaded right hand, and the other is left hand.

It keeps them from vibrating loose and turning all the time.

well, maybe not on some stupid motorcycles, but on the smart ones.

edit: Honda uses the left hand 10mm, but I don't remember seeing a cap head screw for that.

Yes it is the stock Yamaha mirror mounts, he just made a bolt to match so you can mount aftermarket mirror risers. Nothing fishy there, just wish it wasn't a aluminum bolt.

Here are the risers i installed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251228341986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also put a set on my vstrom but they were both right hand threads

Edited by 2talltim

I've been machining for over 25yrs.. This is a first?? what a$$hat would put a left thread @ 10mm in a part???

I'm almost wanting to say theres something fishy here about that.. are you sure that what it is??? Wonder where he got a tap?

I would most immediately re-tap it for a standard socket head cap screw (that's what you have there) .

I'd chase it with a 3/8"-16 tap in a NewYork minute. there will be enough thread to engage. if not go 7/16"

Then you'd have one SAE bolt on a bike full of metric bolts.

If you could live with a hex head cap, I 'd make you one.

Edited by Earache

Then you'd have one SAE bolt on a bike full of metric bolts.

If you could live with a hex head cap, I 'd make you one.

Don't think a hex would work, the heads sit down inside the riser for a flush look, ill go out and snap a pic in a bit.

Actually you can see it in this pic

I have no EDM equipment or any way to make a sockethead cap like that. Sorry about that. Best I could do would a milled, flat screwdriver slot in the head of the bolt.

Maybe a Grainger Supply or as already said, Fastenal. There is a small mom and pop hardware store near me ( Oakwood Hardware ) that has a great selection of metric bolts. Not sure if they carry left handed thread though.

I have no EDM equipment or any way to make a sockethead cap like that. Sorry about that. Best I could do would a milled, flat screwdriver slot in the head of the bolt.

A quick and easy way to make socket heads on a mill or lathe is to use a rotary/wobble broach.

I didnt check the links that were posted so i assume you found your bolt.

A quick and easy way to make socket heads on a mill or lathe is to use a rotary/wobble broach.

I didnt check the links that were posted so i assume you found your bolt.

Nope they were the wrong pitch

Don't think a hex would work, the heads sit down inside the riser for a flush look, ill go out and snap a pic in a bit.

Hex would still work with a spacer and a longer length (might defeat the "pretty" aspect of it though). I like IP's idea:

Drill the stock mount and insert a right-hand M10x1.5 helicoil. :p

Either this or drill it out and tap a new RH thread that you have bolts for (metric, inch, whitworth, I don't care)