Clutchless Upshifting

Blitz

EBay up a set of pazzo knock-offs. They look the shit and are 6 way adjustable at a fraction of the cost of some pazzos.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out.

There's no free play, but I'd agree that I ned an adjustable lever. That was my initial solution to the problem. And dropping to idle was an exaggeration, but it does drop enough that I far prefer the smoothness of not using the clutch at all and for the day that I spent shifting without the clutch there was never an instance where I felt I was doing any damage but instead felt like the correct way to execute the upshift as it was so much smoother. If it was a technique problem though, it would have existed on my last bike and that's not the case.

In regards to Sport Rider, these guys ride bikes and write about them as a career every day of their lives. They are the sole repository for suggested suspension settings that I see linked to on motorcycle forums everywhere.... so they do have some credibility. I mean we aren't talking about The Birmingham Motorcycle Journal or something. Now I'm not saying they are the motorcycle bible. But if they recommend a riding technique I have to think they aren't going to put in print something that is going to wreck their readerships transmissions.

Most modern sportbikes don't need to have the clutch lever pulled to the bar. A lot of people only use 2 fingers on brake and clutch lever leaving the other two between the grip and the lever. Edited by cOoTeR

I'll admit I've never been inclined to do it on any of my bikes but I'll definitely give it try on my Duc the next time I take it out for ride.

Let me know what you think. It was kind of a revelation for me. A new way to do something I'd always done another way.

You should be able to feel if your technique is hard on the bike or not.

Under full throttle aggressive riding (street or track) I hold throttle open fully and barely pull in the clutch just enough to get it to go into the next higher gear unless the bike has a quick shifter and then no clutch.

I almost alway use the clutch during downshifting. If the bike has a slipper clutch I just release the lever fully with a quickness. If it doesn't, I blip the throttle and release the clutch quickly. But feeling determines if I'm being easy or hard on the bike.

I can shift up or down on bikes and cars without using the clutch but this feels like it cause more shocks and strains on the system. Whether it will break before the bike gets put out to pasture, I can't say but I try to ride fast but gentle.

I minimize the time the bike isn't accerating by using the minimum amount of clutch.

Generic street riding I gently roll out of the throttle and use the clutch. Smooth is the goal.

Under no circumstances will the revs ever make it to idle. This includes cars and bikes. Tractors not included. I can't imagine the OP's GSXR revving faster than the bikes I ride.

Chris

I'd say your technique is wrong. I've never found a bike that wouldn't shit smooth using the clutch. It may be at a different RPM point than your old bike, but its there somewhere. The clutch is there for a reason IMO. My sprint ST's sweet spot was 4-5k. My fz1's sweet spot is 5-6k. Just depends where your bike likes to be shifted at. 

also, if your revvs are dropping to idle, you're shifting WAY too early, or taking WAY too long to shift...

wind it up to near redline, grab the clutch as you bring your toe up and as soon as you feel it click, let go of the clutch, should take less than a second.