Shooting Vs. Training

kawi kid

Some of you know I have been writing a blog for about 6-7 months now. Since that time it has grown pretty big compared to what I ever guessed it would have. I since then I was picked up by Shooterslegion.com initially to write news and media for them but with too much already on my plate they moved me back to a smaller contributer role and a site moderator. So I have been busy trying to get myself inserted into the firearms industry.

Lately I have noticed a ton of people going to the range to "train" when really they weren't doing anything but putting holes in paper. I realized i had to sit down and put out there the difference between just Shooting and Training. So far I have had some good feedback and people really enjoyed the suggestions and tips I laid out that has helped me improve ten fold from where I started. I wanted to bring it here to you guys also. It turned out they it was just too long for one article so I divided it up into three parts. I hope you enjoy them and let me know if you try it and if it works for you.

Part one: http://absolutebsblog.com/2013/06/10/your-evolution-of-training/

Part two: http://absolutebsblog.com/2013/06/11/your-evolution-of-training-part-2/

Part three: http://absolutebsblog.com/2013/06/12/your-evolution-of-training-part-3/

You can like my blog on Facebook or subscribe to receive updates by email if you want to stay up on what I will be covering in the future.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Living in the city, I do not have a range in the back yard where I can set up different drills and shoot whenever I wanted, so I have 2 options, the 15 minute ride to the indoor range, or the hour plus drive to the outdoor range.

One issue I face while at the indoor range ( Stonewall), is they do not allow drawing from a holster. I end up starting out from a low,ready position, or at least as low as the top of the bench in front of the range line will allow.

My indoor range drill is usually a sheet of notebook paper with 5 circles in the layout of the number 5 as it would appear on a set of dice. Two circles in the top row, one circle in the center, and two circles in the bottom row.

The circles are about 2 inches in diameter.

I have a series of number written down and will pick a string of numbers, such as 1 5 3 2 4, so that is the pattern for those ten shots.

Replace the target, reload and pull another series of numbers.

The outdoor range trips( A and A in Garrettesville )  are limited based on the weather, and If I have a window of time that allows the longer drive and the total time shooting. I will go to the 100 yard range and set up soda can, skeet clays and whatever else is laying around at different distances 25,50,75 100 yards on the tractor tires. Usually the out door range time is done with rifles. At the outdoor range, I can get more area, left to right ( depending on the number of other shooters) Most of my movement on the range has been just a twist left to right at the waist, but never moving while standing.

I do need to practice more at home drawing from a holster

Face book sucks. So i can't enjoy. Same as scott i am a paper puncher. I just started shooting on private property twenty minutes away which has been a great help.

You can subscribe with email in the left column. It will email you the link to any new article that I write as soon as it is posted.

I forgot one other thing. You guys feel free to share the blog anywhere. I need as much traffic as I can since I am still pretty new. I think I am up to about 58 countries that are hitting my site but I can always use more so if you know anyone that you shoot with, coworkers, or family that you think might enjoy it get them the address and have them subscribe.