Slick ?'s

RHill

Are the wear indicators/dimples a good indication of remaining life? Wait till they go flush? Feel is going to be the determining factor, but I'm trying to figure out if I should leave the rear mounted for another half day which will probably have the indicators nearly flush.

How fast do these things "go away" as they get to the end of their tread life? Heat cycle life? Are certain mfgrs different from each other?

I don't think slicks are any different than DOT's as far as wear. The dimples are the same as the wear bars, so when your dimples are gone you are at the wear bars.

When I was at Jennings this spring I ran a B-stone R10 down past the wear bars on both sides to where there was no tread left. (I flipped it after the 1st day) It changes the profile of the tire a little but not that noticable. I could tell it was a little slick when al the tread was gone. I couldn't hammer on it out of a corner the same as a new tire, but otherwise grip was fine.

Basically, it's not like the rubber compound changes underneath the dimples/bars. It's all the same. The only thing that changes is tire profile, and you may change the composition with heat cycles, etc. Ride it till you can feel it losing grip, or until the cords are showing, lol.

there is a great difference between, wear and grip.  It really all depends on the speed that you are running/heat cycles the tire has seen.  For normal trackday stuff, I'd use the wear bars as a good indicator that you will need to be replacing that tire very soon.  I have personally shredded a tire down until the DOT tread was none existent on a side. this was fine for coaching STT stuff, but the actual grip level was gone long before that.  If you are approaching the bottom of the dimples in the slicks, I dont see much if any change in your amount of grip. The tire is already well past its prime by now.

there is a great difference between, wear and grip.  It really all depends on the speed that you are running/heat cycles the tire has seen.  For normal trackday stuff, I'd use the wear bars as a good indicator that you will need to be replacing that tire very soon.  I have personally shredded a tire down until the DOT tread was none existent on a side. this was fine for coaching STT stuff, but the actual grip level was gone long before that.  If you are approaching the bottom of the dimples in the slicks, I dont see much if any change in your amount of grip. The tire is already well past its prime by now.

Not to derail Ryan's tire convo here, but are you planning on making a trip out to PIRC when we're all there next weekend?

Guess I'll keep them mounted and take it down flush then change the rear out during lunch. That will give me time to get acquainted with another takeoff before the racing Sunday.

I haven't felt these tires slip much other than mid-o in the morning; they have been really confidence inspiring.

once these training wheels are mounted up i should be able to get a lot more life out of these tirss since I'll only be wearing the centers.

Not to derail Ryan's tire convo here, but are you planning on making a trip out to PIRC when we're all there next weekend?

Not planning on it.  I'm hoping to be up at the mid-ohio events in early July though.  Just hanging out and BS'n

Not planning on it.  I'm hoping to be up at the mid-ohio events in early July though.  Just hanging out and BS'n

You are the lamest non-ridin' fastest lap postin' got no bike excuse given dude I know.

:D

Get you ass out to PIRC!

You are the lamest non-ridin' fastest lap postin' got no bike excuse given dude I know.

:D

Get you ass out to PIRC!

ok ok. what weekend is it? I've got military shit and saving for a bike to do lol. 

ok ok. what weekend is it? I've got military shit and saving for a bike to do lol. 

Peer pressure.  Always works.   :lol:

We're just busting your tiny tiny balls.  If you're committed elsewhere it's all good.  PIRC is next weekend the 29th and 30th though.

Don't fuckin' let him off the hook! Next weekend. I fmy broke dick ass can make it there, any other upstanding red-blooded American can.

well if you're broke... then i'll "borrow" that gixxer and let it stretch its legs for the weekend... lmao

Don't fuckin' let him off the hook! Next weekend. I fmy broke dick ass can make it there, any other upstanding red-blooded American can.

well if you're broke... then i'll "borrow" that gixxer and let it stretch its legs for the weekend... lmao

It could use it.  :lol:

Lick. Balls. Craig.

I might be willing to "rent" it out if race school takes its toll on me Saturday...for the right price. :D

It's true.  I think the throttle cables are still new and unstretched because he's afraid to twist the throttle to the stop.

What do you know about stop travel, except for your dick's about an inch after it enters your Mrs.?

That would be impressive were it not for the fact my seester is shorter than resident midget Todd. My brake lever has more travel than your nether regions. The only win you have is coming to a stop quicker.