Had A Chat With A "military Collector" Wearing Uniform In Public

chevysoldier

Seems the irresponsible parents have piss poor respect for the nation's military to let their kid misrepresent out in public. Might have done some good talking to the kid, but if his folks dont enforce proper etiquette then most likely he'll continue.....hopefully not though. Good on ya for speaking to him

Ahh... would have been quite the plot twist if he'd crossed Chevy in the jaw and told him to go fuck himself, eh?

Then the title would have said "i put a military collector on the floor in the restroom" wait....

Illegal? Nope never said that. Disrespectful? Yep. If you want to wear military pants around, or hunting in full OD green camo, etc that's fine with me. But when you wear current issue fatigues including the top, bottoms blouses into dessert boots, undershirt, army name tape, you're skirting on misrepresentation and disrespect. That's my issue. Maybe the kid didn't know or realize it hence why I spoke privately and didn't make a scene. Go wear it in front of your mirror at home or go enlist. If I see the kid do it again, I won't be so nice.

Well, I know you don't mean to be disrespectful, but white is technically a value and not a color. I wouldn't expect a non-artist to know this, but I noticed you were using terms you didn't earn or enlist for. So, please, stop disrespecting the craft and educate yourself.. or get beat up in the men's room by G.I. Joe and Company.

Now you're being racist

Edited by chevysoldier
  • Upvote 1

My, so educated, well good for you, me, I'm just a dumb firefighter that also wears a uniform and knows what it takes to wear one and is grateful for people like chevy that know what values are and willingly put their life in danger so that people like us can sit and chat like this. Since you are angry, I'll leave and let you have the last word. We'll agree to disagree, but if I ever see you, I'm buying the beer.

• Upvote 1

I really think OP should've left the issue alone. Following a kid into a bathroom for a0a talking to sounds like a recipe for you knocking on neighbors doors explaining how you're a sex offender

Regardless of your past military service you were out of line to confront him. He was a kid and if my kid walked out of the bathroom saying some adult man had confronted him in the bathroom that adult man would be answering to the police (probably after a severe ass whooping). The smart thing to do would've been to talk to the parents when the kid went to the rest room.

• Upvote 2

And if the kid had an issue with it and started punching chevy to the ground and was on top of him and beating him, and chevy shot him twice. Would there have been a national media frenzy and riots if Chevy got off for self defense??  Should he have not followed him into the bathroom?

Too Soon?

Is it innapropriate to impersonate Batman? Spongebob, George Carlin, or any other hero? That's what kids do... They explore the world through play and make-believe. (Some have more access to props than others, though). Depending on the kid's age, he may have been borderline disrespectful. Perhaps he doesn't have another appropriate role-model to advise him of such a faux-pas. In that respect, as long as CS kept his cool: good job... I'd've kept it out of the men's room, though.

Now, a grown-ass man running around like that is a whole 'nother thing.

I wasn't aware it was against the law for a kid to wear surplus gear.

My thoughts exactly.  If your argument is distilled to "disrespectful", then I wouldn't have been surprised if the kid told you to go fuck yourself.  Everyone doesn't share your same system of values, and unless the kid was attempting to actively gain something from wearing the uniform (badly), I don't see what the problem was other than some dude that I don't know following me into a bathroom to sternly lecture me on my choice of clothing.

• Upvote 1

I personally do not see a problem with a kid wearing surplus military clothing. I remember a time flying back in to San Francisco we were told to change in to civilian clothing and not to wear our uniforms off base at all but that was a different time when the military was given no respect and verbally harassed. If a kid wants to play dress up so what