Archers Come In Please.

Ziggy

Last spring, my kids' school offered an archery class as an elective a couple of days a week for 6 weeks after school.  Up to that point, my son had never shown any interest in archery at all, but he really took a shine to it.  So, for his 14th birthday, my wife and I bought my son a compound bow.  Now, we're talking a Wal-Mart beginner bow, 40-60lb, with a 27" draw, so not exactly a toy, but certainly not a "professional" piece either.  I bought him an arm guard, and a couple of additional arrows, and we bought him a foam target as well.  I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to archery, but my experience is from Boy Scouts a *ahem* "few years" ago.  The first arrow we sent down range (in the back yard) found its target, but thanks to my ignorance, broke the plastic arrow rest that came with the bow.  It was all kinda down hill from there.  We lost one arrow, bent one, and broke the nock off of another one, before deciding to call it a day out of fear for the suburban wildlife in our neighborhood. 

Yesterday, I was talking a guy at church, and telling him that I'm kind of excited for my son to get into archery, because I feel like I have a level of interest myself that will make it a fun activity for the boy and I to do together.  In having this discussion, this guy offered to give me one of his old bows that he doesn't use any longer.  Of course, I took him up on his offer, and now I've got a compound bow too!  So that brings me to today.  At this time, between the two of us, we've got exactly 3 arrows, and we really don't have a safe place to practice.  Neither one of us harbors any aspirations to hunt right now, but we'll not rule it out as a possibility for the future.  For the time being, we need to find a place to buy inexpensive arrows for target shooting, a safe place to shoot, and maybe someone to offer up some pointers.  I'm in SW Ohio, near Kings Island if anyone has local resources for supplies or a suitable range.

Most of the state parks in the area have archery ranges that the public can use. I'm not sure but Cesar's creek and Cowan lake both should have some. Which is a far drive for you, but if you want something closer, as much as I loathe saying this, target world does have an indoor range and has a couple of experienced archers that work for them and they are pretty willing to help most times. They will cut your arrows to size and if you buy bulk arrows from them it will make them more affordable.

Not much help being as you are pretty far away from me but if you guys would like to drive up to Canal area sometime we can head to the Coon Hunters Club where I am a member and I would be happy to give you some pointers... If you are getting more serious I would recommend talking with Beegreensteen who is a member on here. He shot competitively for years for some very big archery outfits.

Not much help being as you are pretty far away from me but if you guys would like to drive up to Canal area sometime we can head to the Coon Hunters Club where I am a member and I would be happy to give you some pointers... If you are getting more serious I would recommend talking with Beegreensteen who is a member on here. He shot competitively for years for some very big archery outfits.

Thanks!  I appreciate the offer.

Is that out on Coonpath Rd?

http://www.cincyjoad.com/

Jim and Liz Coombe are extremely knowledgeable with archery, and have been teaching kids of all ages for many years now. They have outdoor and indoor ranges on their property in Mason, OH and can get your kid whatever training he desires, to compete or just for fun.

Thats pretty much the best place to aim any questions, they are extremely kind and love furthering the sport.

• Upvote 1

I've shot coon hunter a lot haven't been this year tho, lot of stuff going on.

It does, I occasionally bow hunt there. Went total of 5 times last year to a ladder stand I have in there and seen at least a doe each time.

Another great thing about there archery is the 3D sections set throughout the woods. Great teaching tool to really learn to shoot and keeps it fun for all ages.

It does, I occasionally bow hunt there. Went total of 5 times last year to a ladder stand I have in there and seen at least a doe each time.

Another great thing about there archery is the 3D sections set throughout the woods. Great teaching tool to really learn to shoot and keeps it fun for all ages.

They have a website?  I'd like to check out membership stuff there.  It'd be nice to have somewhere to go bow hunting and target practicing.

Google Ohio Coon Hunters association. For some reason it is not allowing me to copy and paste the link. You have to be patient as the club is full. they do a membership every year and accept as many members as spots available due to members either not returning or dying. You will need two member signatures on you application in order to be considered, but I will sign for you and so will another member that actually got me in.

Find a local shop and start building a relationship. I'm lucky to have a great shop literally a stone's throw away. Way back when I first got interested in archery they were great helping to get me set up with propper gear and answered any question I had. Is your backyard totally out of the question for shooting? Can you put up a straw backstop? Maybe get some judo point tips and shoot at pop cans in the grass? Skills will improve rapidly with practice and its much easier and more frequent when you can shoot at home.

Stick with a smaller shop if you want real customer service. The big outfits seem mostly interested in selling the latest and greatest, rather than what you actually need.

Good luck! Stick with it and don't get frustrated.

If you Facebook(?) look up BowJunkie custom bowstrings. His name is Brian Smith. Tell him Bill Green sent you his way. Brian is a custom string builder (ill get into that in a minute). He sits around the Chillicothe - Jackson area. Brian and I shot on the Bowtech staff together. Both winning different championships at different times in our archery carriers from our own set ups.

Brian can tune those bows for and you and get you in the right direction for arrows.

At this point I would not think you need bow strings yet. But when you do, let Brian know! He can build them and tube them any way you want.

Many thanks guys!  I appreciate the recommendations.  As to shooting in the back yard, I'd love to, but with my HOA, setting up a straw bale backstop isn't going to fly.  I've got a couple friends that I may be able to work something out with, though.

Many thanks guys!  I appreciate the recommendations.  As to shooting in the back yard, I'd love to, but with my HOA, setting up a straw bale backstop isn't going to fly.  I've got a couple friends that I may be able to work something out with, though.

Move to a better neighborhood?  lol  I could never live with an HOA.

Cartman-WHATEVA-I-DO-WHAT-I-WANT.jpg

• Upvote 1