Beartooth Highway/yellowstone Np

wantahertzdonut

Rode the Beartooth Highway on 9/1/13.  In a word, I'm disappointed.

I first drove this road in 2002 in a Camry and had a great time.  Great views, great turns, great memories.  I swore I'd return in a better performing vehicle one day.

I took my SV and we rode 2-up from Bozeman to Yellowstone NP's North Entrance, headed east toward Tower Roosevelt, and out toward the Northeast Entrance. 

We made a quick stop in Silver Gate for photos and water, and continued eastward.  The road surface was decent but had a hard time taking in the scenery due to the massive crowding on the road.  Not once were we even able to reach the speed limit and usually found ourselves stuck behind a minivan or SUV panic-braking every turn or dip. 

A stop at Top Of The World is a must, I think they have some claim to fame as one of the highest gas stations in the US or something to that effect.  We rest and decide how to proceed.  We're a long way out and it's already 4pm but find we're only 8 miles from the pass (our planned turn-around point) we decide to continue.  However a few miles past we run into a major construction project where a bridge is being replaced.  It's down to one lane for about a half mile through dirt and soft gravel with a generously timed traffic light regulating east-west traffic.  It sets us back at least 20 minutes.  We debate turning around again but at this point we're so far along, we're compelled to continue. 

After the one way traffic we are stuck behind a large group of traffic (including several trucks with boat trailers) lead by 5 cruisers that refuse to go any faster than 20 mph, creating that awful accordioning effect on the traffic behind.  As we get into the switchbacks approaching the pass they only get slower and traffic stops several times.  When the group pulls off it becomes obvious that some of the riders are having trouble with the altitude which explains the slow movement.  The pass is almost 11,000' so this is a noteworthy issue.  I notice it a little myself further on.

The views at the top are great by any measure.  At 10,947' they have to be!.  I also get to answer an 11 year old question about the ski lift that comes up next to the road just past the pass.  Turns out they have a summertime ski area that opens when the road opens in May and closes when the snow melts.  Pretty cool, I'll go there one day with my board to check it out.

Because of the excessive traffic, I can't say this road lives up to the hype of being "#1 motorcycle road in the US".  I realize Labor Day Weekend had much to do with it, but we've been encountering heavy traffic everywhere out here. 

To sum it up, do it if you're out this way.  Plan on devoting an entire day to just the highway, especially if you're going out and back.  Stop and take pictures.  Expect to get a long time to gaze at the back of the slow moving Chrysler 200 with Utah plates in front of you.  Be careful of oncoming traffic especially near the pass.  They may not be watching the road or may be experiencing poor judgement due to the altitude.

Top Of The World for snacks and water
DSCN3007_zpsd05a6266.jpg

Looking east

DSCN3012_zps135114da.jpg

Us shot

DSCN3018_zps9cc9d837.jpg

Some parts are pretty desolate

DSCN3021_zps9ab6c266.jpg

The top of Beartooth Basin Ski Area

DSCN3017_zpsa73843d1.jpg

One more thing, don't expect to cover ground in anything that can be remotely considered good time in Yellowstone.  After 2 days you'll be sick of seeing bison, but even more sick of people stopping in the middle of the road to look at one a mile away (something they tell you explicitly not to do).  Also be careful of the brake checkers, and don't think you'll ever make it up to that 45mph speed limit.  Someone from Utah is destined to be in front of you at some point and they can't get above 35, and the slow down for the most minute of turns. 

That sucks! I want to go hiking/ camping at yellowstone when my boy gets older. Zion NP is first tho.

There's every reason to still go, just allow for more time than you'd normally expect. Yellowstone is enormous and you just can't cover ground quickly. Take in the scenery when you're able.

the fact that I have that same yellow shoei has encouraged me to make this trip!

Lol, I've spotted a few guys out here with it too.

I hope you have better luck than we did.

Sent from the shitter using Tapatalk 2

Mine was on sale at the ironpony- like 240ish bucks. I like it. Wanted the dayglo green one. but size

ONLY complaints: had to use 3M gorrilla weather strip adhesive to permanently fix the various liner items. Had to tweak the windscreen mounting brackets (two either side) to ensure weather tight seal. 

I got a big punkin head, like a size 8+ hard to find helmets that fit well enough I dont mind wearing them for 4-5 hours

A few years back we went west but at the end of June Beartooth still had 18 ft of snow burying it....lol....so we passed on that leg of the trip.  Sure were disappointed.  We did get up on Monarch Pass near Gunnison, Colorado, with a station at the top at about 11,300 ft of elevation.  Whatta rush!

LOL, funny how you thought a track day on park lands was a good idea during tourist season.

You have to hit the shoulder season in mid-spring or late fall to have any chance that the parks and the roads will be empty. Or, this weekend as you mentioned you were out there for LDay weekend, kind of the last hurrah of summer.

I am sure hope you found plenty of other roads out there to fill your desires?

With any luck, I will be taking the family out there next year. Congrats on making the trip.

I wasn't looking for attracting, just nice turns and scenery. The road isn't open for very much longer. Since all the kids are in school, one would assume that would have been a little bit quieter. I guess not!

Glacier was pretty crowded too surprisingly.

Sent from a rest stop using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

I had a blast when I rode this, mid week during July there were no cars on the road. Also still had a bunch of snow up there it was amazing. Did you ride the chief Joseph Highway? The views were great on it but I was disappointed with the road surface. Yellowstone was packed,I got in and got out.

I'm glad you had better luck than us. We didn't have time for Chief Joseph, I would have gladly done it if we were able. Most of the motorcycles I saw were turning onto the CJH so I assume it's the better way to Cody, if you're going that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

• 2 weeks later...