Remodeling mishap

max power

My neighbor bought this 1890's house. Gutted the entire inside, remodeled and moved in.....BEFORE ripping off the kitchen in the back to make way for an addition. So far, so good. He then brings in a big ass hoe and starts digging a basement next to the existing 110 year old brick foundation. Here is what happened next.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

About 7pm after spending the day digging, the crew was admiring their work when they heard a crack and the bricks started falling out of the center. True brick house, 3 course walls. Said he almost puked. :puke:They had a strucural engineer over today, although I'm not sure why. I guess he needed a professional to tell him he is fucked. Check out what is holding up the remaining wall.

IMG_0359.jpg

Think real hard before going haywire remodeling an old house people. They will bite you in the ass. the neighbors are all now calling it "The Money Pit".:eek:

Owners fault?...........Sounds like a shitty contractor.

+1000 Agreed... I did concrete and masonry work for a few years and I can say that whoever dug that close without supporting the structure was a complete asshat. Ive put basements under brick houses that didnt have a basement and we never had shit like that happen..

Someone is lucky they were not killed... They need to take a saw and cut out the rest of that shit before it pulls in the other side walls. Not to mention support the roof all the way to the ground.