Anyone Recommend A Good Heatsink Paste?

DerekClouser

So having had electrical issues with my r/r over heating, I'm doing all I can to try and prevent it in the future. One thing I heard was air gaps from the heatsink would hurt and I should consider using a paste.

Just got shipped the new R/R so I suppose the next step is to get the paste and a CPU fan to help disperse heat.

What would be a good heat sink paste I could pick up?

I bought a bike that's known to have this problem and the remedy for me was to buy a MOSFET type R/R and to find a cooler location for mounting. Mine does not appear to be serviceable to apply heat sink paste, but for my computers I've always used Arctic Silver silver thermal paste. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any old heat sink paste will do.  I normally just use whatever comes with the retail CPU.  I am sure you can pick regular heat sink paste at RadioShack.  For all other computer parts, I have always used Newegg.com.

Hope that helps.

OhioBob

Edited by OhioBob

Artic silver is pretty good, pricy but good. On the other hand I have used regular stuff for years on high heat circuits without troubles.

Remember to use a thin film of it, do not use to much as that is worse than none at all.

It's supposed to fill the gaps between the devices for 100% surface contact, not to insulate the heat sink from the device.

Getting better airflow to the heat sink also sounds like a winning strategy.

Good luck!