X-bow Knowledge Sought

cmh_sprint

My wife has expressed an interest in getting a cross-bow. I know absolutely nothing about them and haven't kept up with the bow scene since I stopped shooting 20+ years ago. Looking for advice on a decent beginner set-up. TIA.

price range in this catagory is huge. what are you looking to spend and i will be happy to help. also if this is for fun leading to hunting may i reccomend a vertical compound bow as this will be much more fun for a shooter.

• Upvote 1

Your in Marysville. I have an issue of bow hunting world that has a whole write up on everything about xbows from targets to arrows etc...etc you can have it if you like

price range in this catagory is huge. what are you looking to spend and i will be happy to help. also if this is for fun leading to hunting may i reccomend a vertical compound bow as this will be much more fun for a shooter.

Agreed. Compound bow would be more enjoyable, challenging, and rewarding.

• Upvote 1

I started with a crossbow it was a Horton xl then I moved to a psc spider it was a compound I had way more fun shooting that than my crossbow also way more rewarding when u take a deer with it. I think crossbows are way to easy to hunt with but that's just me. I now shoot a Mathews z7 and 3d shoot with a Mathews prestige. It can be an expensive hobbie and pashion lol.

• Upvote 1

Ask her a few questions and give her some of the feedback here and let her make her own choice. Also take her to a shop and let her shoot each and make up her own mind. 

1. The xbow will be easier to shoot but you'll need to make sure to get one she can draw back which is not a big issue.

2. The compound takes a lot more practice, but is 10x as rewarding IMO when shooting targets or hunting. Like I said, take her to a shop and let her shoot each for a bit and see what she likes. If she just wants to hit the target, she will lean xbow. If she seems to really like archery, then she will lean towards the compound and will want to put in the effort to get good with it. Thats where the real joy is IMO. 

• Upvote 2

Let her get smacked on the arm with a string a couple times from a bow and when she no longer wants to shoot it you can take it from her. They make cocking devices for xbows if that is a concern. If its something that she will put the time in get the bow and let her practice a lot. If it is something she will only do once in awhile i say stick with a xbow.