Desecrating Or Freedom Of Speech?

grapesmuggler27

funny, looks kinda like an american flag, but it isn't...

wrong number of stripes, wrong color stripes...

There have been WAY worse things done to the flag in the name of patriotism.

I agree but I personally find it distasteful, its a personal opinion. But it what the "stars and strips" represent that I find distatseful, but hey that's just one guys opinion that's seen friends killed defending the American falg

• Upvote 1

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

From MY understanding of the flag amendmentmemt I think it falls under the desecration. Defiles any part of the flag

How do you figure, It is not the right colors, it is not the right number of stripes. Hell 2 of the three they showed didn't even have stars.

How do you figure, It is not the right colors, it is not the right number of stripes. Hell 2 of the three they showed didn't even have stars.

Your right about 2 of the 3, hell even about the flag in question. Its the manipulation of the american flag to fit their agenda.

Obama_Flag_1_zpsad00b8bb.jpg

Also find this desecration of the flag, its "not" the american flag because the stars are removed, but its still manipulated

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

From MY understanding of the flag amendmentmemt I think it falls under the desecration. Defiles any part of the flag

It's not an American flag. It doesn't fall under desecration protection.

it's not even a very convincing likeness of an american flag.

I can take a jewish flag change the color of the star of david and put a picture of hitler on it and be ok?

absolutely. You will probably make a lot of people angry, but it's not illegal.

you have the freedom to express your views, no matter how much disdain others may have for it.

Edited by magley64

absolutely. You will probably make a lot of people angry, but it's not illegal.

you have the freedom to express your views, no matter how much disdain others may have for it.

That's the point I'm making, desecration may be a stretch and I withdraw my stance. But I do find this representation of the flag disrespectful

Your right about 2 of the 3, hell even about the flag in question. Its the manipulation of the american flag to fit their agenda.

Well lets get the Germans, Italian, and any other country that has any stripes, because they are just manipulating our flag. 

What's the real issue?  Why are you such a hater?

Edited by Sapphy

The worst they have done with this rainbow flag is a possible copyright violation.  It doesn't bother me at all.  I actually think it's a pretty clever juxtaposition.

If someone wants to desecrate a flag then go for it.  As long as you don't desecrate a physical flag that belongs to me then who cares?  It is a form of expression as far as I'm concerned.  Desecrating a flag is not a crime. 

That's the point I'm making, desecration may be a stretch and I withdraw my stance. But I do find this representation of the flag disrespectful

You find it insulting, others find it empowering...

nuance and perspective.

I'm not particularly moved either way. My feelings regarding my country have no direct ties to a symbol, or an idol.

Let me make one thing clear, its not just this flag , its any manipulation of the American flag I find disrespectful.

Does that include American flag lapel pins? American flag clothing? Stars and stripes on paper plates and napkins? Where's waldo?

How far do you take the flag from it's "official" form before it's not an american flag anymore?

I also find it ironic that the proper way to get rid of a flag is to burn it... Yet burning it is viewed as disrespectful in the wrong setting.

Note, you should never hold it flat either. So, all pre-game and olympic ceremonies that role out the big flag are in violation.

You referencing this:

4 USC § 8 - Respect for flag
  •  

Current through Pub. L. 113-31. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
© The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Manipulation of the flag is the wrong way to look at it.

All a flag is, is a banner representing an organization. In example, ones country. Most countries flags have been modeled after another countries. Such as 3 horizontal stripes of various colors. All this person did was create their own colorful banner showing pride for both their way of life and their nation. Showing pride for their country by emulating our nation's flag using it as model for their own creative design. The kind of emulation the way a child does when they look up to one if their heroes and dress in a manner that represents that hero.

This isn't desecration or manipulation. It's creativity, honor, and pride. This person didn't take an American flag and disassemble it. They simply made their own using the American flag as inspiration.

I don't condone nor do I agree with being gay. But I feel a person has the right to be creative.

Edited by QuikAccord

I don't condone nor do I agree with being gay.

Funny, I don't condone, nor do I agree with being a bigot.

I don't know if a person can choose whether or not to be a bigot, I imagine some have a choice, still others were indoctrinated with bigotry at a young age, and it's too deeply ingrained in their personality to change.

I don't know if being gay is born, or if it's a combination of environmental factors.

Regardless, adults should be free to live their lives with other adults however they choose. saying you don't "condone" it doesn't make a lick of difference.

Jews and muslims don't eat bacon, but they don't say things as stupid as they don't condone your bacon eating lifestyle.

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1

How defending someone's actions while setting yourself apart from them being a bigot? No hatred was spouted or even hinted to.

I think you worded your last sentence wrong.

"I don't condone nor do I agree with being gay."

In that sentence your saying: I do not accept or allow, nor agree with being gay. In which your basically repeating yourself in the same sentence. I think what you were trying to say was, I dont agree with being gay but to each his own.  

Edited by 20thGix

How defending someone's actions while setting yourself apart from them being a bigot? No hatred was spouted or even hinted to.

You said you don't "condone" being gay.

con·done transitive verb \kən-ˈdōn\

: to forgive or approve (something that is considered wrong) : to allow (something that is considered wrong) to continue

And I suggested this is the position and statement of a bigot. (specifically, your refusal to accept these people)

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

You have every right to be a bigot, I'm just pointing out that it's awfully ignorant to suggest that people's sexual identity or gender preference is subject to your approval.

They have the right to be creative, They have the right to be gay. You have the right to judge them based on their gender preference, and I have the right to point out that your judgement is nonsensical.

Edited by magley64