676 proves the rule

motociclista

I'm sure this won't be news to a lot of people, but I was out riding Saturday and by chance stumbled on Rt. 676, riding the section between 339 south of Beverly and 555 north of Bartlett. The first few miles near 339 were bumpy, but the rest has just been paved as they work their way east. I'd never been on that piece of road before. What fun fresh pavement, especially the last few miles before reaching 555, and zero traffic.

It reinforced an old theory of mine: Wherever there is a famous motorcycle road, there are other virtually anonymous roads nearby that are just as good and aren't cluttered with squids trying to be heroes, cruiser riders admiring the scenery and trying to earn their "_______ Slayer" T-shirt, heavy LEO presence, etc., that such roads tend to attract. Of course Deals Gap is the ultimate example, and 555 is by no means anywhere near that bad, but the rule still applies. Whenever a road gets too popular, I find there's better riding nearby where there's the same topography but without the crowds.

It's good to hear they're paving 676.About two or three years ago they chip/sealed a large section of it and pretty well ruined it for motorcycles.I really hope they're paving the section from 555 to the small town of Dale...that was always one of my favorite rides until the chip/seal debacle.

Hopefully they're paving all the way to Watertown...the pavement from Watertown to Marietta is good already.

A couple good roads off of 676... 792 at Dale(it goes to 266 then to newly paved 377...CR6,Buchanon Rd(runs over to 339 near Beverly and the good section of 339 from Beverly to Dexter City.

Also...as you go into Marietta check out the Marietta Over Look.

What is chip/seal?

Chip seal is a wear surface used where people are not really concerned about how it looks. Just that it's a wear surface. Its a process of putting an emulsion over the existing road and then gravel (typically 8s or 9s). The road is then rolled with a rubber wheel roller.  When first done, its a mess. After 2-3 plow seasons, most of the loose gravel is gone, but its still not a good motorcycle surface. 

for now I'll have to settle for CA Hwy 1 and Lucas Valley Road.

yeah, you're not going to get much sympathy around here today with comments like that.  ;)  We had a sleet flurry here today. yeah, that's right, I said a sleet flurry. I just invented the term.

Don't know Lucas Valley Road. I was just reminiscing yesterday about riding Lockwood Valley Road because I saw a mentino of it in a car mag.

I finally got a chance to go over and ride newly paved 676.Damn,it is sure good to have this old friend back!!!555 to Dale is everything I remembered it to be.It's probably been 5-6 years since I've been able to ride 676 with good surface conditions.We now have excellent pavement from 555 all the way to 7 at Marietta.

This one is going to be back in a lot of my ride routes.

Anyone getting in one more ride this fall ought to check out 676.

Thanks Lance!!!