CA Highway 1: Tam Junction Center Northbound

wantahertzdonut

You all know CA 1.  It's decent for the most part, however some sections are stuffed up with RV's and gawkers.  The stretch between Tam Junction Center going north toward Point Reyes however, is not.  It's amazing roads like this exist.

There is a complex of roads in the area that are a riding paradise for many reasons.  The scenery along the coast is amazing.  In addition, the scenery inland is equally beautiful.  The area is dense with rolling hills and lakes.  Several of the roads take you through redwood forests, while others wind through hillside ranches.  There is much for the eyes to see!

What they all have in common is curves.  Lots and lots of curves.  Traveling along them, you almost think it was a racetrack designer that built them.  Many turns are banked, and 95% of the surface is in great condition.  Like any road, there are areas with gravel so it's best to do a scouting run if you wish to push things.

Highway 1 has much in the way of elevation changes.  Being a coastal road it's to be expected, and it follows the contours of the coastline.  There are multiple hairpins and blind turns adding to the excitement.

The best thing about riding in California is traffic.  These roads hardly have any.  And when you do come upon a car, they use the pull-offs!!  It removes all the frustration from a day of riding. 

I've only been able to experience a handful of the roads around here, but you can make a nice loop out of Highway 1, Sir Frances Drake Blvd, and Lucas Valley Road (which runs right behind the house I'm staying at).  I hear motorcycles going by all day, as well as sports cars.  There are some residential areas along all points of the road but it doesn't hamper things much.  There is also little law enforcement.  I've only seen one cop checking Hwy 1 as you approach Tamalpais.  You can also incorporate the Panoramic Highway and others and make for a long awesome day.

Here's a few videos I've found of the roads.  They aren't mine as I don't have a camera, but they give you an idea of the roads I've mentioned.

Highway 1 from Tam Junction Center.  Notice how cars get out of the way!

Highlight reel of Lucas Valley Road

Panoramic Highway

Highway 1 alone the California coast is my favorite road in America.I was out there in April,and I would get up at dawn on Sunday mornings to ride the section from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach.I had several passes across this beautiful twisty section without one car in my lane...what a blast!!!

Don't miss the eastern section of Scaggs Springs-Stewart Point Rd.,the locals call it Scaggs Valley International Speedway...one exceptionally well engineered road.

Farther north check out "The Avenue of the Giants" near Leggett.Also...highways 36,299 and 26.

Here's some pics from my April trip....

http://rideohio.org/showthread.php?t=18818&page=3