Roku2/3 vs cable?

madcat6183

Basement has a laptop on Wifi currently so good there, HOWEVER it's an AV input old school TV, so that sucks.  But really the only tv watched down there is if I am doing cardio which I do at the gym now anyways.

Should I wait and get the 2 since it has HDMI, and fullsize AV cables instead of the tiny AV cable?  If the Wifi does end up sucking down there I can move it to the office TV next to the wireless router/modem.

I am getting a 3 for the big TV in the living room I decided, now just need to figure if the 45 is worth it, or if 55 is worth the full Roku 2, not XS or XD, or whatever. 

Guess long/short is, do the tiny little AV outs like these both have work as well as a normal 3 plug AV?  Because in the end most likely using that in the basement to the old TV. 

Edited by madcat6183

Basement has a laptop on Wifi currently so good there, HOWEVER it's an AV input old school TV, so that sucks.  But really the only tv watched down there is if I am doing cardio which I do at the gym now anyways.

Should I wait and get the 2 since it has HDMI, and fullsize AV cables instead of the tiny AV cable?  If the Wifi does end up sucking down there I can move it to the office TV next to the wireless router/modem.

I am getting a 3 for the big TV in the living room I decided, now just need to figure if the 45 is worth it, or if 55 is worth the full Roku 2, not XS or XD, or whatever. 

Guess long/short is, do the tiny little AV outs like these both have work as well as a normal 3 plug AV?  Because in the end most likely using that in the basement to the old TV. 

The pin plug to RCA cables work well enough if you don't move them around all the time and mess up the jack.

What is worth what is up to you but low wi-fi signal strength will drop you from 1080p. Then again most Netflix is 720 anyway and you'll never notice the difference on an older TV.

Spend some time on the Roku site reading about multiple boxes on the same account (email address registered). Never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

Thanks for that info too,  I did decide to wait on the 2XS or whatever it was, and go with a normal 2 with the full size RCA cables as it's the same price after shipping from Amazon and I can get gift cards/fuel points :) 

Then getting a 3 for the main TV and will decide on the 3rd TV.

Yea I'm not sure on the Roku, my only experience is with the Apple TV. Now that they have added Watch ESPN I might look into dropping cable and just doing internet because I can get most the games I want except the few that get blacked out

Ollie's Bargin Outlet in Westerville has Monster Cable brand HDMI, RCA, and component/composite video cables for a whopping $3.99 

new egg has a deal on 2x Roku 2's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15-328-008&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3668349&SID=

Edited by silentcropduster

Before you get a roku look into android stick pc. For $40 you can get a 1.6 ghtz dual core with a gb of ram that has hdmi out and wifi. Connect it to a wireless mouse and keyboard and slap in a memory card and you can run hulu, netflix etc plus download via torrent, surf the Web play games etc. I bought an mk808b 6 months or so ago and use it pretty frequently. There are also websites like quickstream.org (I think that's it?) Where you can stream almost any TV show or movie for free.

An android stick would be nice...  I have a Roku box that I got on Woot about a year ago, just cause I was curious and looking for something better to stream Netflix than the Wii console.  One drawback to the Roku is there's no capability to surf the web.  I keep hoping that there would be an "internet channel" but I don't think that's going to happen.  Funny how the old crappy Wii had an internet channel...  But then the Wii was limited to 480p.

As for HD ota antennas, start here:  http://www.antennaweb.org/

newegg had/has a refurb 2xs with 2 remotes for $55 (and 5% cash back if you use discover). ordered one since i've been carrying my bluray player up and down the stairs ever since the PS3 went kaput on me.

Thanks for that info too,  I did decide to wait on the 2XS or whatever it was, and go with a normal 2 with the full size RCA cables as it's the same price after shipping from Amazon and I can get gift cards/fuel points :)

Then getting a 3 for the main TV and will decide on the 3rd TV.

newegg had/has a refurb 2xs with 2 remotes for $55 (and 5% cash back if you use discover). ordered one since i've been carrying my bluray player up and down the stairs ever since the PS3 went kaput on me.

Let us know how it all works out for you!

One drawback to the Roku is there's no capability to surf the web.

There is a youtube channel and I think you can get to facebook but without a keyboard it's kinda pointless.

Old PC and wireless keyboard and mouse doubles as a DVD player as well if you have the connections on the tv.

• 2 weeks later...

Ight, so I grabbed the 39.99 2XS from Newegg the other day, set it up in 2 mins, and had Netflix streaming in another 5.  Tried Hulu, decided I didn't feel the shows were worth the costs and it was only a 7 day trial so dumped it after like 5.  Netflix has everything I could ever want to watch.  I had no idea this much stuff was on there for 8.00 a month or whatever.

I will be buying a few more of these and some antennas and cable is 100% gone.  After the initial costs, and add the Netflix I will end up saving 40-50 a month with doubling my internet speed just beacuse I want to.

In the end, glad I did, wish I had done it last year. 

my roku came in from newegg DOA.  if you didn't know, newegg makes you pay for return shipping even on defective items.  i've heard you can call them and they will work with you on the return shipping, but their site says since they are not the manufacturer, they don't feel responsible for return ship.  lame.  anyway, i sent mine back (at my expense) and am awaiting the replacements. i would've ordered another one but the price went up so i'm just gonna wait for the replacements.

Yeah the price jumped 2 bux and I was like, well I will wait for black friday etc. and see what happens then.  They are back on today at like 60 with 2 gaming controllers.  I have no use for those so figure I will just wait at this point.

Sorry to hear yours didnt work and I did read about the return shipping actually, totally lame.