Gun Safes

TopLeft

All,

I'm looking for input and experience with gun safes.  As it stands right now with my research, I'm leaning towards the Liberty Lincoln 25 model with a couple options.  Size is the major influence as it'll be navigated up stairs to 2nd floor and placed on base to distribute the weight.  Shy of that, feel free to post away advice, and thanks...

post-10391-0-20977000-1383673425_thumb.j

I just bought a Fort Knox safe. I did A LOT of research before buying and I felt the Fort Knox safes were the best for me. The best feature IMO is dual access via regular combo lock OR keypad in the event the keypad breaks or is disabled. FK has a lifetime warranty on it but you know shit will break on a holiday just when you REALLY need to get in there.

You cannot go wrong with that Liberty in my opinion. I have the fat boy and I love it but no way in hell I would want to try and have taken up stairs. Pretty sure when I build my house I will be dropping it in the basement before the 1st floor walls are even built.

I have an older Liberty Colonial 23,  great safe for the price.  If your after the Lincoln, they are built better yet.  The only recommendation would be to overbuy on capacity, figure on about double the guns you currently have or expect to have in the near future.  I have 14 long guns in a safe designed for 25 and they rub each other.  It's a very tight fit, so much that I have half of them in gun socks so that they don't scratch each other.  As for putting it on the second floor, pay to have a safe moving company do it.  I did for mine and it made things a cake walk.  They have a special battery powered climbing handtruck that does all the lifting with the push of a button.  My steps have a landing with a 180 degree turn and they had no problem getting it up both sections.  As for setting it on a base, it will be more important to get the safe sitting on more than 1 floor joist.  Mine is in a closet that backs up to the main load bearing wall in the center of the house.  Setting on two floor joists the floor loading is not all that high.

IMG_0462Modified.jpg

Once you get one, add foam weather stripping to the "inside " lips/edges. The edges facing in towards the safe so you don't scratch ur guns while getting them out. Or put your guns in socks. Can't tell you how many times I've scratched my rifles going in and out of the safe. Ticks me off.

Once you get one, add foam weather stripping to the "inside " lips/edges. The edges facing in towards the safe so you don't scratch ur guns while getting them out. Or put your guns in socks. Can't tell you how many times I've scratched my rifles going in and out of the safe. Ticks me off.

Noted!  Thanks.

I have an older Liberty Colonial 23,  great safe for the price.  If your after the Lincoln, they are built better yet.  The only recommendation would be to overbuy on capacity, figure on about double the guns you currently have or expect to have in the near future.  I have 14 long guns in a safe designed for 25 and they rub each other.  It's a very tight fit, so much that I have half of them in gun socks so that they don't scratch each other.  As for putting it on the second floor, pay to have a safe moving company do it.  I did for mine and it made things a cake walk.  They have a special battery powered climbing handtruck that does all the lifting with the push of a button.  My steps have a landing with a 180 degree turn and they had no problem getting it up both sections.  As for setting it on a base, it will be more important to get the safe sitting on more than 1 floor joist.  Mine is in a closet that backs up to the main load bearing wall in the center of the house.  Setting on two floor joists the floor loading is not all that high.

The Lincoln is about the largest I think I can get up the stairs, otherwise it would be larger.  (heavy sigh)

Gun safes are like garages. NEVER big enough.. I've upgraded 3 times now. 

Buy the biggest safe you can absolutely afford. Trust me. you won't regret it.

I have now a Timber Ridge (Liberty) 64 guns. its a good, well built safe IMHO. I also have a 32.

You'll find that you will want to store more than just guns in it. 

also. I'll kiss you ass if you can get near the amount they advertise in long rifles in it with out scratching any of them. Figure you'll get 70% of the number guns in it. especially if you have any with scopes on them.

Don't forget a nice moisture control system. I bought one from Cabelas that is real nice and has a moisture indicator on it, when it gets full you just plug it into the wall for 24hrs then put it back in your safe and you are good to go, Cant think of the brand name of it right now but I would look when I get home and try to post.

Don't forget a nice moisture control system. I bought one from Cabelas that is real nice and has a moisture indicator on it, when it gets full you just plug it into the wall for 24hrs then put it back in your safe and you are good to go, Cant think of the brand name of it right now but I would look when I get home and try to post.

What did you find?

also. I'll kiss you ass if you can get near the amount they advertise in long rifles in it with out scratching any of them. Figure you'll get 70% of the number guns in it. especially if you have any with scopes on them.

Very very good advice. I have this problem. Go BIGGER than you think you'll need.

What did you find?

Mine is the Browning model, has three different lights on it to show you the amount of moisture in the system and when to recharge. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet but if you want to PM me your phone number or e mail I can send you a picture. I picked mine up from Cabala's for $49.99.

To countermeasure the weight distribution concern, I plan on double (triple?) layers of 3/4" plywood the for the entire closet (about 18 square feet) foor and rest the safe atop.  Height clearance isn't an issue, and the it'll be covered with a cloth for presentation.  Kinda "Appalachian WilliamI know, but cant easily find a strong easily cut plastic base like those plastic pallets.