Gun Safes

TopLeft

Plywood layers wont get you much for weight distribution. Honestly you wont need it unless you dont have a well built home or the safe is approaching the 700+ lb mark. Yes it should be bolted to the floor. 700-1000lb safes are not that hard to move, slide around or tip over. You think its difficult because your being careful moving it. Thieves will just shove that thing down the stairs, they dont care about scratching your precious walls or safe. 

As far as dehumidifiers go. I would suggest getting 1-2 of these. When they change to pink, just plug them in for 12-14hrs and let them dry out and youre all set. Also adding a bit of extra wether stripping around the door for a tight seal isnt a bad ideal. Just make sure if you do it, you dont interfere with the Palusol door seals that expand and seal tight in a fire. 

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384263426&sr=8-1&keywords=eva-dry

Edited by flounder

Plywood layers wont get you much for weight distribution. Honestly you wont need it unless you dont have a well built home or the safe is approaching the 700+ lb mark. Yes it should be bolted to the floor. 700-1000lb safes are not that hard to move, slide around or tip over. You think its difficult because your being careful moving it. Thieves will just shove that thing down the stairs, they dont care about scratching your precious walls or safe.

It's 730 pounds per their specs and will be set on the room wall that is shared with the stairwell coming up. I figure another 90 to 110 pounds of items stored and that's w/o ammo!

I called the builder (Dominion) and asked for their floorplan (built 2008). With the plans I'll look to see if it can be bolted, but have my doubts.

It's 730 pounds per their specs and will be set on the room wall that is shared with the stairwell coming up. I figure another 90 to 110 pounds of items stored and that's w/o ammo!

I called the builder (Dominion) and asked for their floorplan (built 2008). With the plans I'll look to see if it can be bolted, but have my doubts.

1. Dont put ammo in your safe.. Horrible idea.

2. Why call Dominion at all. Get a stud finder and run a lag bolt into the floor joist. 

As far as the weight goes, I wouldnt worry about that. I think standard building codes I talked to a safe mover and he moved 2 1200lb safes into a guys condo on the second floor, when the guy moved out he called the same safe mover. I spoke with the mover and he said that there were no cracks in the drywall, celing, or anything when he moved them back out that would indicate issues. As far as building codes and supports go, here is the ORC for requirements and this doesnt take into account a safety factor.. You will be fine. Hell a waterbed weighs more than your safe. 

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A1-16

FYI, if you dont bolt your safe down, youre wasting a lot of time/money for little return. 

My suggestions. 

1. Good safe and bolt that SOB down - Use Eva-Dry 500 dehumidifiers in it.

2. Alarm system with monitoring, video and dogs if you can

3. Insurance rider for your firearms. 

Edited by flounder
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys for the heads up about ammo!

Will bolt it if I can.  Thanks for the feedback about building codes!  I called the builder just for their input (can't be the first time they've been presented with this question) about weight on 2nd floor.

Home has a nice alarm system.  Dog forthcoming I hope!

Insurance is a given.