Audio hobby

rawlins87

How are you mounting 4 in that one box? Also its a little late but leaving each end sunk in from the edge of the box makes hiding the carpet seams a bit easier.  Looks like a good start though, power and speaker area are the key as long as the box volume is correct.

Garrett

How are you mounting 4 in that one box? Also its a little late but leaving each end sunk in from the edge of the box makes hiding the carpet seams a bit easier.  Looks like a good start though, power and speaker area are the key as long as the box volume is correct.

Garrett

That's only 1 of two enclosures

The enclosure is more important than cone area IMO. And my buddy wanted sealed with lots of cone area to play lots of 25hz and under. If it were me I would have done 2 12s ported but different strokes.

This was the last non-oem stereo I had, pictures are from the first day of install so the wiring did get cleaned up a bunch.  2001 VW GTI.  I gave up on the stereos when I sold the car.  Besides the fact it wouldn't work in the new car, the hearing loss of blasting that system for 5 years was starting to get obvious.

PCDV0002.jpg

eq.jpg

1500 Watts total, Orion HCCA G4 at 1200w mono into a pair of Eclipse 10" DVC 88100 subs running 1ohm.  Sealed 1/2cuft per sub tuned for 26hz.  Highs ran a JL 300/4 at 75wx4 into Boston pro 6.5's in all four corners.  Had the parametric EQ and all the passive EQ's tucked away in the side panels.  It was enough SPL that the sunroof would resonate almost a full inch depending on the song. Never had it professionally miked but I could peg the cheap radioshack DB meters at 115DB with no problem.

I assume that was with a termlab? And how much power were you running with those Fi's? 150's are quite an accomplishment, unless of course you're Mike Singer or someone of the likes.

This thread made me think of my old camaro running two DC Audio level 3's. It was only powered by a US Amp md1d pushing ~1200w but the hatch on the 4th gen camaros made it sound pretty good, but definitely nothing crazy.

Also, are you on SMD?

Edited by nautical1

I assume that was with a termlab? And how much power were you running with those Fi's? 150's are quite an accomplishment, unless of course you're Mike Singer or someone of the likes.

This thread made me think of my old camaro running two DC Audio level 3's. It was only powered by a US Amp md1d pushing ~1200w but the hatch on the 4th gen camaros made it sound pretty good, but definitely nothing crazy.

Also, are you on SMD?

I was active years ago on all the forums. Not so much in the last few years. 150 isn't all that hard to do. Another setup I built for a cr forum member with 4 8s and 600 watts was doing 145s on music. I was running the subs conservatively at around 1000rms/ea. It was a funny to see people's reactions as the truck played lower it got louder. It was never built for numbers. I would demo at shows and listen to chopped screwed music 99% of the time.

I was active years ago on all the forums. Not so much in the last few years. 150 isn't all that hard to do. Another setup I built for a cr forum member with 4 8s and 600 watts was doing 145s on music. I was running the subs conservatively at around 1000rms/ea. It was a funny to see people's reactions as the truck played lower it got louder. It was never built for numbers. I would demo at shows and listen to chopped screwed music 99% of the time.

Same here, I'm no longer active there but I lurk from time to time. And 150 isn't hard but the average person doesn't have much of a clue how to make a proper setup to do so, that's all. But I was never really into showing off numbers, I just enjoyed a well balanced system.

• 8 months later...

Time to revive and old thread! Just starting to get into the car audio game and hope to possibly compete one day. Current set up is small (for now) 2 Alpine Type R 12's at 400rms a piece in a custom box I built tuned to 32hz, it's about 5 cubic feet after port and sub displacement. Anyone still in the game or at least enjoying it as a hobby?

I plan on moving my current subs to a home application once I get my new ones down the road. Wanting to get 2 DC Audio XL12s. Planning on redoing the entire system and mainly focusing on music and demoing as apposed to just a SPL contest vehicle. It will still be my daily driver or at least I want it to be. Planning on around 7000w total for sub, mid and highs. Going with 3 batteries and a higher output alternator. Here's some pic of what I have done so far.

10376071_10204048667232061_4794554302371

10462786_10204149364989442_7949785831299

10366002_10203834916768433_3000155024299

I have a basic template cut out of cardboard for how I want to finish the trunk right now

10532540_10204355822750757_1714161402784

It's not the prettiest box by far but I built it my self and I'm kinda proud of it :D My first box ever and it works so I'm happy. Still planning on eventually pulling it back out and putting a layer of fiberglass both outside and inside as well.

Also I was wrong about the size of the box in my previous post. It's a little over 4 cubic feet after displacement

10380766_10204033856501802_2098357646538

Going to extend it to the rear deck where there is a 10in hole already from the stock sub. Will be very similar to this set up

778-port_zps30cbb246.jpg

This a member on a forum I'm on and my build is very inspired by his design and will mirror it rather closely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last spring I made a custom sealed box for a 8" Solobaric L5 running a 450 Watt amp. I built the box to replace my center front seat in my F250. I used the factory seat supports and the factory cloth over 2 inch foam. need to get some pictures but if you didnt know it was there youd never find it. Turned out just as I had planned. 

• Upvote 1