HH Gregg

CleaveTheGreat

When some store was closing up it's brick&mortar locations they sold all their stock on a no-returns basis.  I bought a dvd player and it was DOA.  Went through the warranty process with the manufacturer who said they it was truly DOA but they had a deal with the store that the store woudl handle warranty returns, they didn't take warranty returns themselves due to product cobranding or some such bollocks.

The store refused it as "no returns".  Management also refused it, depsit me sayign it was a warranty claim, not a return?

Finally I complained enough to get to head office and talked to a laywer there.  He tried the same "No returns" argument until I quoted him the two sections of ohio law that show a "return policy" and a "warranty policy" are different things.  To disclaim warranty they would have to mark the item as "as-is" or similar, and to disclaim returns they mark the item as "no returns".  As I was making a warranty claim, which was not disclaimed, they are still on the hook.

After a minute of silence on the phone he send me a gift card in the amount of the purchase that was valid on their web store that was still open.  When it arrived I burned that sucker up on music cds before the day was out.

Moral of the story?  "Don't get Scruit going..."   I mean, errr, "don't take no for an answer if you have a solid legal footing."

Anyone every tried to return an open box item to them? I bought something that I'm less than thrilled with and I'm wondering if I'm SOL.

The key phrases are "No returns" (or similar) for simply-changing-your-mind returns, and "as-is" (or similar) for warranty returns.   Return policies are totally voluntary and by default returns are not required to be offered - as such they can refuse the return with no recourse unless they have explicity offered returns (and not subsequently disclaimed them on the item-by-item basis) by a stated policy posted in the store, on the website or on the receipt/invoice.   If they have placed the no-return wording anywhere on your receipt/invoice/box etc then it's yours forever.

If it is a warranty return then they are still on the hook unless they put as-is on the receipt/invoice/box etc.   By default all new items generally come with a stautory warranty and any additional warranty from the store or manufacturer.  This too can be disclaimed with a statement of "as-is".

There are some exceptions, such as used cars default to as-is unless a warranty is explicitly offered.  I'd imagine any used item would be similar, but I'd have to read the law on that.

So, is it marked as no-returns or as-is?

Sorry for the late response, been real busy the last few days. They let me return it and gave me no problems. It was a floor model tv and the picture was very disappointing. Found a different one on Amazon and jumped on it. Free delivery, a free 3d blu ray player and no tax really swayed me.

sigh.....am I gonna have to haul that fucking thing back to the store? :)

Haha no. I suckered someone else into doing it.

Edited by CleaveTheGreat