XT Racing GPX Pro 4 Data logger....opinions?

RHill

I have the gpx8. Haven't used it yet. Got the mounts worked or for my CRF250R, aprilia rs125 and Ducati. Will use it at jennings in Feb. Should know more then. I will compare data to the ducati DDS and see if they match.

So in summary, I don't know shit. The Starlane gps looks very cool and can act as a dash unit. Depends on your needs. I bought the GPX 8 used for a decent price or I would have likely bought the Starlane.

The data logging looks cool as shit and they seem to hold their value pretty well if purchased used and not destroyed(like lap timers and transponders).

I've pretty much justified it to myself as a tool that would help get more value out the time spent on the track.....and then I saw the damn thing sold.  I'll have to keep my eye out for another one.

I would definitely buy one.  I paid around $400 for mine.  I bought off this forum.  Didn't need the 8 channels but that's what was for sale.  Ducati DDS is more integrated and I paid less, but got a hell of a deal on it from my dealer.  The mapping on any of the GPS units seems to be the way to go to get better.  I'm excited to use it. 

I was eyeing that one up that you bought....didn't know as much about them back then as I do now and didn't have the funds.  The video overlays with telemetry are so cool.  I'd end up blowing $1000 in linear potentiometers and pressure sensors if I had 8 inputs lol

One thing I haven't found a clear answer on:  The unit(or software) can calculate what gear you are in based on rpm and gps based speed....if that is enabled, does it use one of the data logging inputs?  

I don't know the answer to that one.  I'm so new at them.  The Ducati one gathers the info from the electronics = easy.

The GPX has so many inputs, but you have to buy the sensors AND hook them up.  I think speed and location will be a major help.  The rest will just be minor. 

we used one for about the half the season last year on the kids bike, along with a iPhone based Harry's Lap Timer. For the money, IMHO you're WAAY better off with the HLT...

The biggest difference is that although the HLT can give you instantaneous speed and G's everywhere on the track,the GPX can give you the additional channels of data like throttle position, engine speed, gear position (calculated by rpm and speed, or input with a sensor). But considering that the HLT only costs about 30 bucks (its a phone app), you have to justify those additional channels for the extra 400+. For me/us, just understanding how to benefit from basic lap analysis was plenty to do without the complication of adding the other stuff.

Another big difference is that with the HLT you can jump off your bike after a session, and immediately inspect your laps, versus having to plug into a laptop. There is some data available on the little LCD screen, but nothing at all like the HLT. Makes routine analysis a pain in the ass.

After the "new car smell" wears off on your several hundred dollar toy (mine is a loner), you're left with a cool gadget that you really have to think hard about how its actually going to improve your lap times especially when it comes to the extra channels... what do you do with all the data???

For us, if you can put down a fast lap and use that as a reference lap later, then you can see exactly what part of the track you need to concentrate on to get back to that speed. But as a tool for becoming faster without a reference, that's much trickier. Not as easy as saying "hey i need to go faster here" since not only is it easier said than done, but how do you know the bike/tires are capable of that?  A cool feature of the HLT is that if you are riding with buddies that also have it, then everyone shares their laps via bluetooth. Pretty cool.

i'd be happy to share screen shots of the phone screen or laptop software if anyone is interested. killing time till the season opener!

I also have Harry's and an extra Bluetooth GPS receiver with better accuracy than just the iPhone. I didn't like risking my phone. A cheaper iPod would make me feel better. About $130 so far plus phone or iPod. So Harry's can add up as well.

I'll have to look into Harry's again.  Last year I picked up Trackmaster to try out and wasn't really happy with the results, seeming because of the crappy GPS sensor on my Galaxy Nexus.  I was also worried about destroying my work phone on the track....not as much of an issue now that I'm ready for an upgrade.  External GPS seems like the way to go using those apps.  Harry's only has the basic version available for Android devices, but it looks like I could still use the data from that with something like DashWare to create video overlays.  

Problem I noticed with external receiver was battery life while Bluetooth connected. Have to have two devices charged. Then add go pro and it seems that it is hard work before the race even starts.

Sometimes it is just more fun to just gas and go. But maybe the larger units are easier. I don't know yet.

One other thing on HARRY's was starting it with gloves on. Very difficult to take glove off , get it synced with external Bluetooth device,start recording and then glove on. Turn on go pro and hope the race isn't started.

I know I'm whining. But something to consider. Easier is with more.

Edited by turnone