Continuing holster making

e-flores

So about this time last year I had picked up a couple of pieces of leather and basic tools to get me started with making some leather holsters. After a year or so of making basic style holsters I decided that I wanted to come up with my own design, something that I could call my own and have my own prototype of a holster. All this to come up with possibly my own line of holsters and to eventually sell to the public. So with that being said I am looking for some feedback as to how to better my design. What you guys do and don't like about it. I already have my ideas but I know I can come here and get criticism knowing there are a bunch of gun guys around here that can chime in.

And no I am not in the maket to sell right now. I am already working full time and at school full time so I really don't have the time to be building a business right now. If I do decide to open a store and start selling this will be the first place I start my advertising campaign.

So what I have right now is a design for a tuckable IWB with a little adjustment. The gun size didn't really allow for a lot of room for me to have the surface area for much adjustment. Larger guns would allow for more adjustment. And my tool I use for molding broke during the molding process which lead to uneven lines and non parallel lines. So I will clean those up with my next holster I post.

So here it is and thanks for the feedback.

29DD544D-9787-496D-BB71-1F4B8BA6050B-646

4F21D411-E583-469B-B8E1-61E6E8A6DE38-646

0F1F1B4E-B0B6-4CEF-ABE8-7057BDFEB216-646

AA61310F-D518-4DF9-94A7-13F33ECAC95A-646

a few  small things jump out at me but before anything else, I want to say nice work, that looks really well made. 

1. You may want to consider heavier stitching for longevity but thats only a guess

2. The clips - they need to completely hook over the belt either from the top like the ones you have or from behind and up around the bottom. Loose pants/belt and a good tug and I have a feeling that holster is going to move up and those clips look like they will slide off the belt pretty easy. They should hook the belt and not just slide over it. 

3. I would suggest a bit more clearance in the rear on the leather. When you reach for the grip to draw, you dont want the holster to be in the way.

Edited by flounder

Flounder #3 is my biggest beef with this holster right now. And that was a design flaw with my pattern. I really needed to build the front face of the holster taller in the gun region in order to get a steeper angle cut down and around the trigger area in order to produce the gap the holster needs. At the same time covering up the trigger sufficiently.

#1 and #2 are actually deceiving in the pictures. The tread I use is actually thicker than most industry standards are. You just can't tell as much because I grove the stitching line in order for the stitching to sit flush with the leather so over time rubbing from your clothes, skin, etc. doesn't fray the stitching. And the clips are spring clips and latch very well, another one of my beefs is that I'm having a hard time finding a spring clip that doesn't grip too much or too little. I can barely yank the clips off of my belt and they are marking up my gun belt. I made this holster for my brother in law and this rig is going to be his EDC so I'm hoping they loosen up some I will see.

• Upvote 1