Gun seen on adult at school, cops called? Oh wait....

madcat6183

college campuses are not "school zones" last I knew.  You can have it on you in the car and lock it in the car on a campus.  School zones are high school and below. 

As for the guy at the apple store... he could've been hit with trespassing as Easton has very visible signs showing that guns are not permitted.  He was in fact breaking the law whether or not he had a CHL, open or concealed.

college campuses are not "school zones" last I knew.  You can have it on you in the car and lock it in the car on a campus.  School zones are high school and below. 

As for the guy at the apple store... he could've been hit with trespassing as Easton has very visible signs showing that guns are not permitted.  He was in fact breaking the law whether or not he had a CHL, open or concealed.

Ahhhhhh, that makes sense because at that time I definitely was NOT thinking of kids and all the stuff along with it, like schools.  Yeah, family friend back home got busted at Easton, huge disaster, lawyers, court, jail, fines, etc.  We don't shop there if we can help it due to that.  Place is ghetto as sh*t anymore and thugs don't usually follow the rules/laws.

Yeah, family friend back home got busted at Easton, huge disaster, lawyers, court, jail, fines, etc.  We don't shop there if we can help it due to that.  Place is ghetto as sh*t anymore and thugs don't usually follow the rules/laws.

Wow, kudos to the cops for being gentle on the guy then.  Apple got their money out of him, I know that.  He was super cooperative and low-key, so I imagine that helped him.

I work just a few blocks from Easton and go there from time to time for lunch, dinner, shopping, movies, etc.  You keep your wits about you at night like anywhere, but it is absolutely not ghetto by my definition.  Any place with a Tiffany, Nordstrom and a dozen high-end steakhouses and jewlery stores should fit in a different category than Northland, Eastland, Westland, City Center...

I meant, does he always OC to pick his children up from school? Or, was he trying to make a gun rights statement?

Just because someone saw the gun didn't mean he was open carrying. That info isn't given in the article.

New Albany is a good department, good officers.

• Upvote 1

Wow, kudos to the cops for being gentle on the guy then.  Apple got their money out of him, I know that.  He was super cooperative and low-key, so I imagine that helped him.

I work just a few blocks from Easton and go there from time to time for lunch, dinner, shopping, movies, etc.  You keep your wits about you at night like anywhere, but it is absolutely not ghetto by my definition.  Any place with a Tiffany, Nordstrom and a dozen high-end steakhouses and jewlery stores should fit in a different category than Northland, Eastland, Westland, City Center...

Obviously I don't mean like Eastland etc. but it's still gotten trashy and ghetto IMHO.  Sure they have nice stores, but at night, everytime I used to go, you had trash everywhere.  I did hear the cops cracked down on that, but I wouldn't go regardless anymore.  Actually, I'd probably go to Eastland instead to be honest.  I know people carry there(licensed and not) and there no carry signs are like the size of a business card on their mall maps, NOT the doors, so not sure how that would play out.

It still amazes me that people freak out over seeing a holstered firearm. OC opinions aside, how in the hell is a visible holstered gun more of a threat than a concealed gun? People really make this planet a shitty place to live.

Everyone knows it could jump out and and shoot someone by itself. 

New Albany is a good department, good officers.

i grew up in new albany before it blew up to what it is now. they are definitely better than they used to be, thats for sure. nowadays they aren't arresting people who file complaints and taking them downtown, or giving drunk gahanna officers rides home instead of rides to jail... both of which happened about 10 years ago or so. the girl they arrested for "filing a false complaint" ended up suing after the dash cam corroborated her story. i forget what happened with the guy who gave the drunk a ride home.. i think he ended up resigning lol. 

back when i was in HS it was bad. pretty much like new rome junior. god forbid you drive through town after 10 pm. they would ride your ass so close you couldn't even see their headlights or they would flash their headlights at you to try and get you to speed up.

It still amazes me that people freak out over seeing a holstered firearm. OC opinions aside, how in the hell is a visible holstered gun more of a threat than a concealed gun? People really make this planet a shitty place to live.

It's disappointing, but I am honestly am not surprised.  People fear what they don't understand and many people have little to no experience with firearms...including the politicians pushing for gun control.  The gun control lobby like to scare uninformed citizens into associating guns with criminals.  

Edited by Tpoppa

out of sight, out of mind...

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't know how a CHL holder is supposed to stay abreast on this stuff. Leave the gat at home and you don't benefit from having it on you. Bring it along and you have to obsess over whether you can even get out of your car.

Isn't that the point?  CCW is legal, but not really most of the time.

Wear slacks and a tie, and people assume you're a detective. 

It's shocking how often people assume you're authorized to do (insert whatever action here) when you act like you're allowed.

At the Cuyahoga County Justice Center, there are signs on every floor that say "please check in with the deputy, take a seat, and wait to be called - authorized persons ONLY allowed beyond this point."   I'll tell you right now, if you're wearing a suit, no one is going to blink when you walk past that sign.  When I was clerking there, I actually asked a deputy to un-lock the door back to the judges' chambers for me.  He never once questioned whether or not I was actually supposed to be going back there - just told me to cut through courtroom, because it would take less time than him finding his key. 

And this was a 23-floor building with 4 judges per floor (from 12 up anyway), so it's not like this deputy recognized me.  I wasn't on that particular floor nearly often enough.

• Upvote 1

So, turns out New Albany PD went to the County Prosecuter on this and they said nothing was wrong as you can carry legally when dropping off/picking up kid, so long as not entering the school.  But can be out of vehicle.

This was in the Dispatch I guess, but my I.E. shuts down anytime I try to find it.  Sorry, I got it from Columbus Concealed Carry's facebook page, but said it was taken from Dispatch.   This is an Ohio law, no idea about other states. 

Wear slacks and a tie, and people assume you're a detective. 

It's shocking how often people assume you're authorized to do (insert whatever action here) when you act like you're allowed.

Very true. Same stuff goes on at hospitals.  I'd be willing to be you could walk your way into just about any operating room you wanted with a set of scrubs and a cap on.

If he has a ccw he is not permitted to get out of his vehicle, with firearm.

This isn't true, although it seems a lot of people believe it to be.  The law doesn't state that you can't exit your vehicle.  It states you must be in the process of dropping off or picking up your child and you can't enter the building.  Part of me dropping off my child may very well be opening the trunk, exiting the car and handing my child his backpack. 

• Upvote 1

Meh, I can't edit the previous post...  I looked up the actual langauge and I see it does say driver or passenger in a vehicle.  Although it doesn't mention remaining there.  Some gun forums were arguing you could exit your vehicle.  Oh well.  Glad this guy wasn't charged.

Meh, I can't edit the previous post...  I looked up the actual langauge and I see it does say driver or passenger in a vehicle.  Although it doesn't mention remaining there.  Some gun forums were arguing you could exit your vehicle.  Oh well.  Glad this guy wasn't charged.

Again, I'd generally believe Parks, who aside from his personal interest in firearms also has a responsibility as part of his employment to understand the law...

If the language says "in a vehicle" and you get out of the vehicle, you're no longer "in a vehicle"

this is why lawyers are paid so well, interpretation of the law can get complicated...

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1

Again, I'd generally believe Parks, who aside from his personal interest in firearms also has a responsibility as part of his employment to understand the law...

If the language says "in a vehicle" and you get out of the vehicle, you're no longer "in a vehicle"

this is why lawyers are paid so well, interpretation of the law can get complicated...

This is the problem I have with the law: if it requires a degree and full-time study to understand what the average citizen can and cannot do, it becomes worthless.

This is the problem I have with the law: if it requires a degree and full-time study to understand what the average citizen can and cannot do, it becomes worthless.

Sure, but what you can do and what you can't do has a lot to do with who you are and how much money you have.

If you're important enough (to them), cops will give you more leeway regarding the borders of what is legal using their discretion.

If you've got money for lawyers they can enterpret the law such that whatever you did isn't exactly illegal...

It would be nice if laws were written clearly and concisely, but there is so much gray area in everything we do... even if you tried to write a simple law it would get complicated. 

Normally I would too, and not saying he is wrong, but since the county prosecutor said this guy was in his right, I will also take that for what it is worth.  And if I ever had an issue I would then cite that previous response by the courts. 

If people who care about guns can't even figure out the local law day to day....how should a non-carrying citizen be able to keep up?  

Who is in the wrong here?  The "concerned citizen" for not knowing the flavor of the month law?  The dispatchers for not knowing the entire story?  The school for taking the information at face value, and protecting the kids with a lockdown? 

It's a no win situation, after that first 911 call is placed.  

This will NOT stop happening until the majority of the population and police departments are better EDUCATED!

• Upvote 2