Help with DVD ripping, containers and codecs?

chevysoldier

I bought a 3T back up/ cloud drive to not only back up my computer files but to keep a back up of my DVDs. I'll be streaming them to watch on my computer, phones and in the future my tv. There's different options that I really don't know what the difference is. I want something good quality, able to stream well, faster ripping and maybe a little compression ? Does the container matter? avi, mp4, m4v, mpg? What about the codec? x264, mpeg4, mpeg2, xvid? I copied The Hobbit and it ended up being 1.4gb and took like 3-4 hours. Thoughts or tips? Thanks.

I always used anydvd to rip DVD and bluray to an ISO file. Then used virtual clone drive to mount the ISO as if it was a physical disk. Allowed me to save everything exactly as it is on the original disk. 3-4 hours for a DVD seems terribly long. I could rip a 20 gig bluray faster than that.

3-4 hours for a DVD seems terribly long. I could rip a 20 gig bluray faster than that.

Yeah I didn't consider that...

All of my DVD quality movies are around 700 Meg, 1.5 Gig is bluray quality...(or close to it)\

Personally I don't like MP4, AVI seems to be my go-to, then MKV for Blu-ray...

The PS3 (where I watch most of my network movies) seems to have the least trouble with those formats...

Edited by magley64

I always used anydvd to rip DVD and bluray to an ISO file. Then used virtual clone drive to mount the ISO as if it was a physical disk. Allowed me to save everything exactly as it is on the original disk. 3-4 hours for a DVD seems terribly long. I could rip a 20 gig bluray faster than that.

I've done that before but I want to keep it simple and be able to play it on my phone, or my wife on hers. 

Yeah I didn't consider that...

All of my DVD quality movies are around 700 Meg, 1.5 Gig is bluray quality...(or close to it)\

Personally I don't like MP4, AVI seems to be my go-to, then MKV for Blu-ray...

The PS3 (where I watch most of my network movies) seems to have the least trouble with those formats...

MKV seems to look grainy and play back on my devices sucks. I have one or two videos in mkv. Most of my stuff is AVI already and they play well. 

Know of a good free program to take an ISO file and burn it to DVD? The DVD discs I made once before are lost and for the life of me I cant get it to work right again. I have since deleted a lot of once used or crap programs I no longer use on my computer but still have the ISO files.

Edited by 20thGix

There are some free DVD ripping software on the Internet, for example HandBrake, you can have a try. Also there are some paid wares online, and I think they are always better than the free ones. I have used one for years and it is really good to use. If you need, you can refer to this Rippig DVD to Galaxy S Guide to find it and learn more about it.

I have a really old copy of Nero I used when running the windows XP computers.  Worked fine on the older machines but it is not so happy in my newer win7 computer.  It lets me rip music cd's but I haven't tried anything else.  Most of the stuff that goes on the drives is just back up copies in case I trash the actual disk.  Haven't need to worry about that step so far.

Just so you know, when it comes to recoding anything, your hardware particularly your CPU will greatly determine how quick it gets done.

With that said, I use AnyDVD also and it works great for taking off any DRM crap and what not.  I've used Nero as well with it and never had a problem.

dvdfab is a good program also

Just so you know, when it comes to recoding anything, your hardware particularly your CPU will greatly determine how quick it gets done.

With that said, I use AnyDVD also and it works great for taking off any DRM crap and what not.  I've used Nero as well with it and never had a problem.

I also use DVDFab, and have a very old PC.  

Some specs from DXdiag    

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120824-0336)

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz   Memory: 15350MB RAM

And I can rip and copy almost any dvd movie under 4.7 gig in 20 mins or so, 30 max....

Edited by M_Quick

You're still okay with gen1 or newer hardware in most cases.  i5 and i3 CPUs will be a good bit slower in recoding.

And here's my stuff.... :D

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU         950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 24576MB RAM

Some of my 2008R2 server VMs use a lot of memory.