Geneva on the Lake?

jd724

When heading out to Geneva-on-the-Lake, I like to take Route 84 versus 20 or 90. It's not all that less straight, and there are some 35 mph zones, but it feels more like an enjoyable country highway ride to me than either of the regular roads there.

Super slab wears me the fuck out, if I were to go up on the bike I'd have to find a different route than 90.

I know a semi decent back road way that gets you about 1/2 the way there through the valley and metro parks. It'd be like 3-4 hours though from Massillon I bet

Coming from like Willoughby Hills area? This intrigues me!

If I were to ever ride out there I'd take the Valley to Brecksville Metroparks to Bedford Reservation into the Chagrin Reservation to Chagrin River Road all the way up to like Squires Castle area. From there I only know 90 but even that route would likely be 2.5 hours from my place so add another hour for Sam for sure

if you keep coming up river road from squire's castle, you can hit 84 to 534, and you're right there.. 84 is slow rolling curves mostly, there are a few stretches that are more fun than others...

if you don't take your route quite that far north, you can turn off on brigham, and get on wilson mills, which is pretty nice, take ravenna road from chardon and get off on woodin, to old state north, to girdled road, get on leroy thompson, up 528 to 307, to 534... its a confusing and definitely crooked route to take, but basically the reverse is what I take to bike nights in valleyview...

Edited by magley64

Which way takes me through the most covered bridges?

Covered bridges are mostly east of Geneva. Ashtabula has easily the most covered bridges of any Ohio county but Geneva is on the western edge of the county.

Here is a couple maps I found.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210129375708033258866.0004514d5594684b97d75&msa=0 

http://www.coveredbridgefestival.org/2013map-web.pdf

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

I agree Rob!  :)  There are plenty of ways to get up there from Akron or south using country roads. The one thing about gotl is that its hard to find parking. Bikes everywhere! If I remember right, you have to pay in most of the lots. It might be hard for a large group of us to park up there. Just an idea of mine though. I can't remember the route I take but I usually take w/e routes I can find to get me up to Geneva, east of all the wineries. Then I go west on 534 and crossing over 90 headin in to gotl. I usually take hwy back. It's not a bad ride at all coming from Akron.  To be honest, I don't mind getting lost on a ride as long as the weather is nice. There was a little bar on the way up that is always packed with bikes and it sounds like they are really whoopin it up in there. Wish I could remember the name of it. The last time I was by it, there were people on the balcony howling at me to do a burnout at the stop sign. I thought  about it but my rear tire was almost brand new. I haven't done a burnout on the Z yet.  Another good ride might be the Sugar Creek area. Atwood Lake and Salt Fork would be some good rides as well I think.

I almost always hit up Eddie's Grill when I head out to GotL, so I will park along the side street there during the week (plenty of room just for motorcycles) or in their lot across the street during the weekend. There's a charge, but your ticket is good for the cost of parking against your food at Eddie's. It's overpriced food, not great, but it's too nostalgic for me to pass up most times.

Eddies is ridiculous. They wanted like $3 for an ice tea. I like the foot long brats place on the east side of the strip and the Italian place across the street...and funnel cakes....and lots of beer...and the bar food at that little bar across from the mini mart and right next to the anchor inn....can't remember the name, I'd have to look at the t shirt I got for getting drunk everywhere....oh yeah and the bikini bartenders at yankee's.