Larry Pegram Racing and EBR in AMA Superbike

Tpoppa

Yea him and EBR have been talking for a while actually. He's getting a ton of setup support from the WSBK team based out of Italy.  The bikes are horribly down on power, but seem to handle like 250's... so we'll see how this does with the Worm.

Good luck to him. I'd love to see him have one more winning season before he hangs it up.

I posted a similar comment on the WERA board, and I hope Larry goes out and kills it this year, but I believe he is focusing on smart business decisions at this point in his career.

Larry has his shop outside Columbus, his TV show, and sponsorship deals.  (I assume) those are his primary sources of income, and not necessarily in that order, but I would guess that needs to be the order in the long-run.  The TV show and sponsors only last as long as his racing career.  Maybe a few residuals if the show is played in reruns after it stops airing.

With that said, winning races does not pay nearly as much as any of the income streams above can and should.  Purse money is "gravy."  Racing is simply a platform that Larry can use to promote the revenue sources listed above:  his race shop, his sponsors, and his TV show.

I would speculate that Larry gets a lot more camera time and commentator mentions finishing in 8th place on an EBR than he gets finishing in 5th place on an R1.  Maybe he just didn't like the cost/benefit ratio on paying Graves for his 2013 bike, and the EBR is a better deal, but again, that's more of a financial consideration than a "can I win?" decision.