Good dealership near Cincinnati?

wayfarer

I'm in the market for a used bike and was wondering what was available in my area. There is a good chance that I will buy from a private seller but I wanted to at least look at a dealership so that I can sit on a few bikes and see what's comfortable. I'm going to need to buy gear, so I'll find my way to a dealership at some point anyway. I'm looking for a sport bike in the 600cc range. If I decide that I don't like the seating position, I may go for something the likes of the SV650 or CB600. Essentially, I just want to try some bikes on and find out what I like.

The only place I have been able to find in the Cincinnati area is Racer's Edge. They are closed today but I will probably make the drive out there tomorrow to see what they have. Based on their website, their selection is just alright. I could probably check out most of the bikes that I'm interested in but I may not find something I would actually buy. I don't want to go much larger than 600cc. They seem to deal a lot in salvage titles. On one hand, this puts slightly newer bikes into my price range, but I'm not entirely sure what I would be getting. Does anyone have experience with salvage titles? Should I be concerned about them?

Columbus has Iron Pony which I have heard nothing but good things about. It's a bit out of the way but I could make the drive if that's my best bet.

Thanks ahead of time

Could try cycle specialties. They deal in used bikes and have two locations: near dent on the westside and Fairfield

Honda of Fairfield has a few used, but don't deal as heavily in used.

I've always wanted to check out Competition accessories, but never have.

Thanks for the tips guys. Dayton is a short drive so if if someone chimes in with the names that could be an option.

Competition accessories seems to have a pretty good selection based on their website. Mostly newer bikes that are a bit outside my price range though. Maybe they'd still let me sit on a few to see what I like though, especially if I mention that I need gear.

I bought my bike new from comp in 08. I frequently go there to look at stuff. In saying that not sure I'd buy a used bike from them. I've noticed that a lot of their used bikes are really rough. It may just be me, but if it' were sitting on my sales floor to sell it would at minimum be cleaned. They seem to just roll them out there as they've taken them in. A little effort goes a long way.

Iron Ponys used bikes seem to be much nice IMO. They are usually cleaned and seem to be in nicer shape.

There is also Middletown Cycle right off 75. I haven't been there for awhile, but they usually have a large selection of used bikes.

Went for a bit of a road trip today and sat on some bikes. Started at racers edge east of Cincinnati, then went to competition accessories, Ohio Motorcycle in Hilliard (friend got his dirtbike here), then Iron Pony. Racers Edge definitely had some rough bikes. Lots of salvage titles and even the clean title sportbikes usually had some cosmetic issues. Priced competitively though. Competition Accessories had a pretty good selection of bikes and gear, second only to Iron Pony. Ohio Motorcycle was alright but their selection of used bikes was a bit limited. They are a sister store to competition accessories. Iron Pony definitely had the best selection of everything. At this point, I think I'm probably going to go with a private seller though. I actually ran into a guy at the BMV who was selling a 08 CBR600 for 5k. Garage kept, one owner. Really wish I would have gotten that guys number now but I didn't have a feel for the market or know exactly what I wanted at the time.

That is correct Bad. I've got some experience on dirtbikes and I just finished the Motorcycle Ohio course. This is my first road bike though. Hoping to get something that should be sufficient for a very long time. Not sure if I'll be buying another sportbike. I'm hoping I can find one that will last until I'm looking for something a bit more... mature.

Edited by wayfarer

my honest opinion, save the scratch and find a sv650 that is mint mechanically but maybe needs work cosmetically that way if you happen to drop it you don't care. Having a head start with dirt you have a way better starting point that I did. I'm glad I bought my beat to shit 600rr cause I dropped that thing countless times

I definitely do like the SV650 but I may only buy one sportbike (hard to say. It's just going to get harder to justify later in life.), so I figured I'd go all out. I've got a pretty good deal on a R6s lined up. This thing has under 650 miles. Small cosmetic damages but the guy actually replaced the fairings from the one time he put it down (low speed). It's only 5 years old and the price is right, so I'll probably go with it. I will keep that advice in mind though.