Sellers: Watch out for fake cashiers checks

Casper

Saw this on Craigslist tonight.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF A MAN IN HIS LATE 50 OR EARLY 60 TRYING TO PASS OFF FRAUDALUNT CASHIERS CHECK. HE GOES BY NAME BILL AND DRIVES A SILVER AND WHITE LATE MODEL CHEVY ASTROVAN WITH A TRAILER. HIS PHONE NUMBER HE USED IS 614-395-5518. HE TRIED TO PURCHASE MY SCOOTER WITH FAKE CHECKS AND TOLD ME THAT THE BANK ISSUED HIM TWO SEPARATE CHECKS BECAUSE THE BANK WOULD NOT GIVE HIM CASH. THE TWO CHECKS HAD HANDWRITTEN AMOUNTS ON THEM. CASHIERS CHECKS ONLY ARE GENERATED BY THE BANKS MACHINES WITH THE AMOUNTS TYPED IN. PLEASE BE AWARE, ESPECIALLY THOSE SELLING MOTORCYCLES AND SCOOTERS.

post-8610-13959002695466.jpg

How hard is it to print a fake cashiers check? Not very. Don't take cashiers checks ever!

Only exception is if you get it while at the issuing bank and you see the transaction take place. But why, just take cash.

My friend's dad almost got taken for much more. Sold a couple of old range rovers on craigslist. wanted 8,000 for the pair, guy sent him a check for 18,000. When he called the guy, he said he didn't have the ability to cut another check, but for his trouble, he could keep an extra 1000, and just give the $9,000 leftover and the trucks to his "courier"...

old trick now, but apparently a bunch of people got hit with that one.

My friend's dad almost got taken for much more. Sold a couple of old range rovers on craigslist. wanted 8,000 for the pair, guy sent him a check for 18,000. When he called the guy, he said he didn't have the ability to cut another check, but for his trouble, he could keep an extra 1000, and just give the $9,000 leftover and the trucks to his "courier"...

old trick now, but apparently a bunch of people got hit with that one.

yup that was real popular in the early 2000's. One of my college roommates got taken like that even though I told him he would be an idiot to go through with the deal