Dual Sport Style Helmet for Me?

JohnG

So, I'm thinking of buying a new lid this year for when I ride the Buell, which will probably be for commuting purposes.  The more upright riding posture of the Buell and the prospect of slower, in traffic riding on hot days has me thinking of a dual sport lid.  Why?  I'm thinking better ventilation and wider field of view, plus the advantage of a visor to keep the mid to late afternoon sun off my face.

So, what do you think?  Pro's/Con's, do you have such a helmet now and if so what do you like about it and what don't you like?  There's a pretty cool video on Revzilla  

and I was liking the AFX lid, but it states that its a pretty heavy lid.

Id go with the AFX.  Its a great helmet for a cheap price.  Its not the lightest helmet in the world.  Honestly, as much as I like my Icon Variant, its a pricey helmet and Im not sure that Id drop $400 on another one when I could get an AFX for about $120, put a dark shield on it for $30 and have the same look for half as much.

• Upvote 1

Good luck going over 55mph.  Those visors catch the wind well, especially when you turn your head or look up/down. 

Unless youre bird watching, its not an issue.  Ive honestly never had a problem with visor lift.

Edited by Bakemono

XD3 for four years no visor lift but did resort to wheel weights to dampen vibration. Pricey but worth it. Newer version is supposed to have addressed all of the short comings.

XD3 for four years no visor lift but did resort to wheel weights to dampen vibration. Pricey but worth it. Newer version is supposed to have addressed all of the short comings.

I believe the newer ones have shorter visors and more venting to fix those issues.  Personally, I used to wear MX style helmets for snowmobiling and even then, I never noticed visor lift was much of an issue.  Compared to MX helmets, DS helmets have a much smaller visor.

Edited by Bakemono