tires tires tires

Casper

I would look for a dual compound tire, I know my centers are gone way before the edges, I've been hearing allot of good about the Avon Storms on some other forums, not sure if the Vipers are the same dual compound or not.

So I'm up for new tires......... I've been looking at these:

- Avon AV59/AV60 Viper Supersport

- Pirelli Diablo

- Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3

- Metzler Sportec M-3

Which should I lean more towards and why?

What is your goal this season? That should help you decide on tires. If your going to be doing allot of dragging which I assume you will, then there is no need to waste your money on a dual compound tire / track tire. Youre not going to a road track and you dont ride the twisties so get whats cheap and fits your budget and objective..

What is your goal this season? That should help you decide on tires. If your going to be doing allot of dragging which I assume you will, then there is no need to waste your money on a dual compound tire / track tire. Youre not going to a road track and you dont ride the twisties so get whats cheap and fits your budget and objective..

See, that's my problem. I like the twisties too. Someone told me Avons are the best for drag and twisties. I don't think I'm ready to set the 10 up for just drag racing yet.

Hey Satan I will have some race BT002s if you want some tires just for drag racing. the middles are still good and are good for 30 or so passes if you want a tire you can blow at the strip. Yes 190s

Just get ya a second rear rim for drag racing...

Hey Satan I will have some race BT002s if you want some tires just for drag racing. the middles are still good and are good for 30 or so passes if you want a tire you can blow at the strip. Yes 190s

Just get ya a second rear rim for drag racing...

Rock on! PM sent.

See, that's my problem. I like the twisties too. Someone told me Avons are the best for drag and twisties. I don't think I'm ready to set the 10 up for just drag racing yet.

The thing is this, and please dont take this personally. You are not going to be able to push the stock tires to the limit let alone a set of DC3. Unless you plan on really improving your twisty riding this year in both ability and the amount that you do it, I would get what fits in your budget and is more suited for you to drag since Im assuming that is what is going to be the majority of what you do... With that being said, there is also allot to be said about knowing that the tires your on are better then what you can throw at them. I understand you like the twistys but unless you can actually get on the sides of the tire, it doesnt make sense to buy a dual compound tire that will never get to see a decent lean angle.

My Suggestion -> Do 1 track day and you will be more confident and a better rider then you ever thought you would be on that bike. And in a hell of allot less time also. It really will help you get to where you want to be as a rider.

Now people can flame on with the try a track day comments.

Flounder that is a great idea.I was going off what I think is best but you are right.If you can't get on the side walls then a softer compound will not do any good.I've never had any luck with avons. The standard corsas might be a better bet.

Kind of why I suggested getting a 2nd rim for Drags. I will sell him my take off rears all day for $15+ shipping if I don't meet up with him.

That way he can waist the middles on cheap tires at the strip and use a longer lasting compound for the street.

I definitely agree with you Flounder, but that's why I was asking. I've had some people tell me to get the Avons, and some tell me they're shit. I'm actually going to go ahead and get the Metzler Sportec M-3s per recommendation.

Chrisoh - you have a PM. I'll take them.

I definitely agree with you Flounder, but that's why I was asking. I've had some people tell me to get the Avons, and some tell me they're shit. I'm actually going to go ahead and get the Metzler Sportec M-3s per recommendation.

Chrisoh - you have a PM. I'll take them.

I have heard that the Avons are shit myself but I have no personally experience with them nor will I..

Kind of why I suggested getting a 2nd rim for Drags. I will sell him my take off rears all day for $15+ shipping if I don't meet up with him.

That way he can waist the middles on cheap tires at the strip and use a longer lasting compound for the street.

Chris... are the take offs your selling Satan, 190/50 or 190/55....

Also, Satan.. something to keep in mind is what profile tire your going to run.

the 190/55 is going to give you a higher rear ride height and faster turn in. the 190/50 is going to give you the same ride height you have now and more contact path for the tires as they are not as rounded of a tire. (going to be better for drag.) I think the shinko even has less of a profile then 50. The difference in height between a 190/50 profile and a 190/55, is right around 1 inch. That is a substantial amount to raise the rear and not account for it by adjusting your front suspension... You will notice it and your bike will handle differently. Just an FYI to think about.

For the street, you may never even notice it though unless your really start getting on it. Also, At high speeds, raising your rear with a 190/55 and not adjusting your front suspension could make your bike unstable/squirley so be careful if you do and take it easy until you know how your bike handles with that tire.

Chris... are the take offs your selling Satan, 190/50 or 190/55....

Also, Satan.. something to keep in mind is what profile tire your going to run.

the 190/55 is going to give you a higher rear ride height and faster turn in. the 190/50 is going to give you the same ride height you have now and more contact path for the tires as they are not as rounded of a tire. (going to be better for drag.) I think the shinko even has less of a profile then 50. The difference in height between a 190/50 profile and a 190/55, is right around 1 inch. That is a substantial amount for rear ride height.. You will notice it and your bike will handle differently. Just an FYI to think about.

I'm just keeping with the stock sizes for now. Thanks for the info though.

PS: At the drag strip I drop the pressure down anyways.

I'm just keeping with the stock sizes for now. Thanks for the info though.

PS: At the drag strip I drop the pressure down anyways.

Realize that his take offs will take longer to come up to temp and also run a much lower PSI then stock.. They should work well for you for drag.

Also

You may never even notice it though unless your really start getting on it but at high speeds, raising your rear with a 190/55 and not adjusting your front suspension could make your bike unstable/squirley so be careful if you do and take it easy until you know how your bike handles with that tire. Im pretty sure the the take offs that chris has are going to be 190/55

They are 55s. Satan do you put the bike in truck and take it to the Drag strip?

Yeah drag racing at 15 psi these tires will give him more grip then any street tire. I don't expect him to use them on the street. He is just getting the rears from me to burn at the strip.

They are 55s. Satan do you put the bike in truck and take it to the Drag strip?

Yeah drag racing at 15 psi these tires will give him more grip then any street tire. I don't expect him to use them on the street. He is just getting the rears from me to burn at the strip.

No, won't be used on the street.

I trailer to the track.

Not sure on drag applications, but Avons are pure shit for anything twisty. Maybe if you are short on funds or something. For drag, I have a few buddies doing ZX10s for drag and they actually use the Shinkos... I was surprised, but they said they were SUPER sticky... I used to sell them my race take offs, but now, the Shinkos are what they use...

It really depends on what you want to do.

My opinions:

Street:

Michelin or Pirelli. 2CTs or the Diablos. Anything else is kinda the same and all, but these two companies seem to be making some great tires.

Track/street:

See above, but I guess a few guys are using BStones...

Track only:

Michelin/Pirelli are my top two. Pretty simple as Pirelli is the number one club tire choice and considering the top earning racers are found at WERA Nationals, they are mostly on Pirellis. Michelin is close behind.

BStone again is at a few tracks, but it is really based on what Quintin pushes. Dunlop owns AMA and really doesn't support the club guys...

Drag racing:

Seem again to see more guys running Shinko. Overall, cheap and sticky. But, for twisties - especially a liter bike, I wouldn't skimp on tires...

Oh, if you want some super soft rear slicks in 190s, I have Blue Pirelli slicks for free. Just pick them up from me or I can leave them at Pony or something. I can't sell them as take offs, but man, they'd be great for drag... I just need them out of the house.