Cleaning debris from the bottom of a heat pump?

Gump

How do you get into the thing? I went to take the grill off the top but the fan and motor are attached to it. Bunch of leaves and crap in the bottom.

My AC unit just has 9 or so sheet metal screws holding the fan motor and housing on to the side louvers.  I just take 'em out and tilt the whole fan/motor/cover back and either vacuum or hose the crap out.  I've started using a cover for the fall/winter/spring months when the unit is not in use--it keeps things a lot cleaner--altho I suppose you can't do that for a heat pump. :(

FYI, be sure and pull the buss bar/breaker on the outside box disconnect so you're not working around live 220V!!!  And while you're in there, make up a soap solution--something like Mr Clean or Simple Green--and give the coils a good soaking, and then hose them off to remove last year's sponge and aid in heat exchange.

Thank you. I removed all the screws you're talking about but it didn't budge, easily, and I wasn't sure so I quit. I'll try it again. I can't hose it out because there's no hole big enough for debri to go thru.