About the school shooting in Washington...

Casper

That's my conundrum, if I were to have one, I'd want it somewhere that it wouldn't be accessible to others, but if it's not readily accessible, what's the point of having one?

That is why you train everyone in the household that is of an appropriate age, and you can for sure have a firearm out of a child's reach and still have it readily accessible. It all boils down to personal responsibility, and the overwhelmingly majority of Americans have shown that they are indeed very responsible gun owners. My son has been shooting and has known all things firearms since he was 6 years old, he is now leaving for the Army next Tuesday and already knows how to shoot "very well" and is about as safety conscious as they come. When you take the curiosity away from a child or even an adult about guns, and you train them and educate them about firearms and what they are capable of, that is what is the game changer. 

• Upvote 1

That is why you train everyone in the household that is of an appropriate age, and you can for sure have a firearm out of a child's reach and still have it readily accessible. It all boils down to personal responsibility, and the overwhelmingly majority of Americans have shown that they are indeed very responsible gun owners. My son has been shooting and has known all things firearms since he was 6 years old, he is now leaving for the Army next Tuesday and already knows how to shoot "very well" and is about as safety conscious as they come. When you take the curiosity away from a child or even an adult about guns, and you train them and educate them about firearms and what they are capable of, that is what is the game changer. 

I can't believe it's already come time for him to leave. You must be extremely proud (and a bit terrified). 

So what if your friends kids come over?

Only 33% of married couples don't have kids. I guess that means as being a part of the majority, I can force them to have kids. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, just applauding the trend. People are abandoning guns and religion, and I couldn't be happier.

This, plus there are some really good instant-access safes on the market (and a few terrible ones - avoid those).  I have one that's bolted down, which requires a multi-digit finger sequence to open, after which the flap opens and exposes a readied defense device.  If you don't know my home, you'll not find it.  If you do, you'll still need the combination or time with a sledge hammer/bolt cutters.  It's an easy solution, and a good one - I can still get to my defense device, so can my trained family members, but nobody else.

• Upvote 1

This, plus there are some really good instant-access safes on the market (and a few terrible ones - avoid those).  I have one that's bolted down, which requires a multi-digit finger sequence to open, after which the flap opens and exposes a readied defense device.  If you don't know my home, you'll not find it.  If you do, you'll still need the combination or time with a sledge hammer/bolt cutters.  It's an easy solution, and a good one - I can still get to my defense device, so can my trained family members, but nobody else.

Most of mine are safe queens. The others are in very safe places. That's all anyone needs to know. Oh, and we're talking about airsoft, right? 

• Upvote 1

So what if your friends kids come over?

They have been coming over here for many years, and every parent of a kid that came over here knows my Wife and I well and they know who I am and how I am. And for anyone that did come over here not knowing me very well, they would have no idea there were firearms in the house. There has never been a kid in my house unsupervised, and if you knew my Son, you would see very easily how nothing bad like that could ever happen. Firearms are accessible, they are not laying on a damn coffee table. Lets hide the matches, household cleaners and other poisons, lets lock up all the booze!!!!! 

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, just applauding the trend. People are abandoning guns and religion, and I couldn't be happier.

Both of what you just said is laughable. Go ahead and pull some articles and some polls out of your ass, I know better than what you state to not be true. Propaganda used for both good and bad reasons is a very powerful thing, as is the power of suggestion. I will choose use my common sense and gut instincts and not go through life with eyes wide shut.

We're skewing from the original question...  Guns don't cause shootings.  They do allow unstable individuals to inflict greater harm with less effort.  Their potential for misuse is extremely high.  That is what scares people.  The inability to "fix" crazy or criminal leads some people to have knee-jerk reaction toward banning what (they believe) can more easily be removed from society: the tool rather than the person wielding it.

But the second amendment isn't going anywhere.  I am sure that the future holds legislation that will require registration of firearms, more extensive background checks, longer waiting periods, and possibly even a limit on the number of firearms an individual may own.  I also expect to see private sales of firearms more heavily regulated.  Essentially, firearms will be tracked the same way vehicles are with a title and registration.

As a responsible gun owner and a Libertarian, I am conflicted on these legislative steps.  On the one hand, I am not worried about losing my right to own firearms.  I don't think legislation will step into the absurd realm of hindering my rights to own as many firearms as I desire.  But my desire is for a handful of firearms that suit the relatively small number of applications I use and keep them to fulfill.  I'm thinking selfishly rather than objectively on that limitation of freedom.  I don't like the trend, but I do understand the desire to accomplish the intended goal. 

Shootings will never stop.  publicizing them in the media only encourages others to follow suit.  It may even teach them how to plan more effectively...  But if we un-invented the gun, there would quickly be a substitute.  Americans have a knack for pretending we're a developed country while we secretly rely on caveman instincts and a deep-rooted desire for revenge.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe it's already come time for him to leave. You must be extremely proud (and a bit terrified). 

Yes I am Ben, very much on both accounts. Considering the cluster fuck that is the entire Middle East, I am extremely terrified he could end up over there.

Oh, and we're talking about airsoft, right? 

Maybe you were, but I was talking about rubber chickens.  They're pretty wicked when flailed rapidly.

Oh, hey Brian, I totally forgot to intimidate, scare, bully or wound anyone that weekend I had a rubber chicken on me.  How did I not fulfill my purpose according to Duane?  I feel... ashamed.

How many acts of school violence, and yet no talk of tougher laws against killing people in schools.

MSNBC is talking about it, but killing people in schools is already fairly illegal.

• Upvote 1

Both of what you just said is laughable. Go ahead and pull some articles and some polls out of your ass, I know better than what you state to not be true. Propaganda used for both good and bad reasons is a very powerful thing, as is the power of suggestion. I will choose use my common sense and gut instincts and not go through life with eyes wide shut.

By all means close your eyes and go with your gut, but the facts are pointing in that direction.

By all means close your eyes and go with your gut, but the facts are pointing in that direction.

You mean the facts that I posted specifically for you which point to the percentage of households with firearms increasing? 

You mean the facts that I posted specifically for you which point to the percentage of households with firearms increasing?

Which facts? What source?

Do you mean the speculation that the polls are wrong because people with guns are lying about it?

Edited by magley64

Which facts? What source?

Do you mean the speculation that the polls are wrong because people with guns are lying about it?

Assuming no lying, you're wrong. Assuming lying, you're wrong. Either way, well you know. 

Yes. We make our own monsters. From unnecessary and poorly executed medications and ramped up media hype. And ignorance. Then deny it, and blame it on something else other than ourselves.

“We make our own monsters, then fear them for what they show us about ourselves.”Mike Carey & Peter Gross, The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

• Upvote 3