180 rear tire on sv650

claine650

I plan on doing a 06-07 gsxr rear wheel swap on the sv this upcoming winter which I don't even want to think about. Was wondering if anyone on here has rode one with the swap done. Eventually going to swap front ends and get better rear shock as well when the money allows. But I've seen nothing but good reviews about the wider rear tire on the bike. Looks to be very easy install with the available spacers I can purchase from the guy that did these bikes.

post-17592-14041997610691.jpg

post-17592-1404199771649.jpg

why?

All you're going to accomplish is spending $20 extra every time you replace the tire...  Walk through the WERA paddock, and I bet you the consensus is that there is no performance reason to change to a 180 rear.  If you want the look of a wider tire, then go for it, but I think you're kidding yourself if you rationalize it as an "upgrade."

why?

All you're going to accomplish is spending $20 extra every time you replace the tire...  Walk through the WERA paddock, and I bet you the consensus is that there is no performance reason to change to a 180 rear.  If you want the look of a wider tire, then go for it, but I think you're kidding yourself if you rationalize it as an "upgrade."

Agreed.

It will feel less 'flickable' with a 180, which is probably the best thing about the SV650.

Edited by Tpoppa

why?

All you're going to accomplish is spending $20 extra every time you replace the tire... Walk through the WERA paddock, and I bet you the consensus is that there is no performance reason to change to a 180 rear. If you want the look of a wider tire, then go for it, but I think you're kidding yourself if you rationalize it as an "upgrade."

Well If you didn't noticed i never said it would be and upgrade at all.

Its just a different option for my rear wheel that,

A.) gives me more trie choices than the stock wheel does, im not gonna sweat $20 more on a tire change either. (not saying stock is bad)

B.) if it doesn't hinder performance, then yes ill also be changing for the aesthetic purpose.. If it changes the way the bike handles a little bit, maybe ill like it that way better, or maybe I won't. But I've definitely done enough reading of reviews and such, nobody who has done it has said anything bad about it.

It still just an option I might go with, just getting opinions, its not a permanent kind of swap anyway, can also go back if I choose to which is nice.

Another thing to consider is resale value, which only matters if you plan to sell it some day. I'll bet you a dollar it'll be worth less with the 180 conversion than it would be stock.

considering how cheap I bought the bike for in its good condition, I really don't care how much i sell it for, if i ever do.

I don't dispute that you'll have more tire choices, but I don't think they'll be any better.  See what the WERA folks had to say when asked about the 180 swap:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=300866&highlight=sv+180+rear

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=316570&highlight=sv+180+rear

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=246121&highlight=sv+180+rear

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=280509&highlight=sv+180+rear

I understand that you're not looking to race the bike, but they're talking about handling effects and tire options (more about slicks than street compounds)

I did it.  No regrets.  Did the front end GSXR swap, too.   Sure, the 180 makes it a little "less flickable", but it was plenty capable of whatever I threw at it.   It handled awesomely.  Loved it so much that I bought a SV1k, put the GSXR front end on the 1k, put the 1k front end on the 650, and sold the 650.  

On paper, the only notable difference (besides the engine) should be that the 1k is 40 lbs heavier.  Same wheelbase etc.  

The 650 was a much better handling bike.  

I like the 1k, but loved the 650. 

Great project.  Have fun. 

Oh yeah, and sold it for more than I had into it...

The SV's are great bikes and often overlooked (thats good.  It keeps them cheap).     I like the look, sound, and power of both.

I did it. No regrets. Did the front end GSXR swap, too. Sure, the 180 makes it a little "less flickable", but it was plenty capable of whatever I threw at it. It handled awesomely. Loved it so much that I bought a SV1k, put the GSXR front end on the 1k, put the 1k front end on the 650, and sold the 650.

On paper, the only notable difference (besides the engine) should be that the 1k is 40 lbs heavier. Same wheelbase etc.

The 650 was a much better handling bike.

I like the 1k, but loved the 650.

Great project. Have fun.

Oh yeah, and sold it for more than I had into it...

The SV's are great bikes and often overlooked (thats good. It keeps them cheap). I like the look, sound, and power of both.

Good info, thanks for your input.

And yes I also love the sv650, very fun and capable machine. Just doing what I do with everything, tinker around with it and customize it.