Front end losing contact when making a large direction change

RHill

When I flip the bike from one direction to the other, if I'm aggressive, the front loses contact with the ground for a split second and results in a little headshake.  It isn't a big deal; I just back off how hard I change directions.  It can happen when I'm on or off the gas.

I'm just wondering if this is a symptom of something else suspension wise?  My rebound is pretty quick so I think the front end tops out over the top.  Maybe too quick causing a pogo like effect?  I've got the stock steering dampener on the bike.

@ 5 minutes exactly, switch from 5-6 while on the gas....it almost looks like a stutter in the video

@2:55, flipping from 1-2....this one caught me off guard and threw off my line

Really didn't consider anything maintenance related; I haven't noticed any changes in the handling of the bike.  I can repeat this on both my current bikes and did the same thing on my old gsxr.  I was really thinking along the lines of suspension being too light/loose or most likely rider related.

I'm a pretty quick left right or right left rider and only ever lifted the front during transitions on short wheelbase bikes. Good news it's very unlikely to crash you out.

Not sure why it's happening to you. Too little rebound makes sense.

the 'rebound' damping theory is pretty good... with the bike cornering the suspension is partially compressed, and if youre on the gas and suddenly stop cornering (like when making a large direction change) the front end would will suddenly decompress and if the rebound damping is too light it may even be enough to cause the bars the wiggle as the front gets light. for sure check the steering head for tightness but i'd crank in a few clicks of rebound damping.

Haven't checked the torque on the steering head nut, but the bars feel "normal" not too tight/loose.  

I did just raise the front end of the bike by lowering the forks 8mm toward the top clamp. Taller front=increased trail=more steering input force.  Maybe I'm just pushing too hard?

I'm doing a gearing change for Mid-O, and that will probably lengthen my wheelbase by around 5mm...going to see the effects that has first, then raise my front 2mm more to flush the forks.  After that I plan to increase the front rebound dampening.

Craig, you mean the rear packing in because of too stiff of rebound?  I really need to take a look at my rear suspension....haven't really messed with it much.

Too much steering input? Maybe more force to turning and less on pulling. I find I pull on the bars when I'm being aggressive rather than just turning it the way it needs to go. I dunno. Occam's razor and all that.

If increasing rebound dampening doesn't help, I bet your sag/ride height is too high, meaning you don't have enough rebound travel left in your forks. I wouldn't slow my rebound damping down too much, you'll have trouble keeping the tire stuck to the ground coming off bumps.