Current rigs for EDC

madcat6183

If you brought the 1911 you would probably throw it in the river on the way home. It's not often someone hates a 3 thousand dollar gun until they spend a day with us.

Not looking to start a fight but have you seen guys have troubles with the higher end 1911's? What kinds? Edited by kawi kid

Not looking to start a fight but have you seen guys have troubles with the higher end 1911's?  What kinds?

I've been very critical of the current crop of mid-level 1911s like the Kimber custom line. I felt that a $1300 gun should not need to break-in before becoming reliable. I felt that I could never really trust it if I don't know whether it's done breaking in or not. That was until I really had a conversation with an owner. He pulled out his Kimber (verified it was unloaded of course) and let me play with it. The tolerances are so extremely tight by design, the break-in period is really a final step in manufacturing. His gun went from "I wanna send this POS back and sue these bastards" to 100% reliable after shooting the crap out if it. Most of the interwebz hate out there is from people like me, used to 100% out-of-the box reliability from our Smith/Glock/XD/Sig/Walther/HK/Beretta. If you buy a 1911, plan on spending some money on rounds and range time to finish the job the manufacturer started. If this concept isn't for you, get a $400-$900 gun from the list above and you will be accurate and reliable. I don't have a 1911 anymore, but I do regret selling that Colt. I'll have another one day.

Not looking to start a fight but have you seen guys have troubles with the higher end 1911's? What kinds?

We have had some but not a ton. We see more of an efficiency issue which was the problem. The guy I was talking about never went out and ran his gun hard under stress. He went to the range a lot and shot hundreds of round through it but never really ran it like you would in a life or death situation. After seeing how how the gun and him performed under stress together as one he realized what we were getting at the whole morning when we were talking about firearm selection and the difference between effective and efficient.

That's cool, I thought maybe you had seen common mechanical failures. Can certainly understand what your seeing with range time versus effective usage.

C-Bus, continue to be critical. I agree that the current mid to high end 1911 guns are built too tight. They are kinda like an AK, the like having a little more play in the parts. It may seem like blasphemy but the first day I had my Kimber I loaded the slide rails with a thinned down aluminum polish and manually racked the slide a couple hundred times. All the break in of 2-300 rounds without the ammo costs. Took it to the range after that and it has been flawless since.

Edited by vf1000ride

I've been very critical of the current crop of mid-level 1911s like the Kimber custom line. I felt that a $1300 gun should not need to break-in before becoming reliable. I felt that I could never really trust it if I don't know whether it's done breaking in or not. That was until I really had a conversation with an owner. He pulled out his Kimber (verified it was unloaded of course) and let me play with it. The tolerances are so extremely tight by design, the break-in period is really a final step in manufacturing. His gun went from "I wanna send this POS back and sue these bastards" to 100% reliable after shooting the crap out if it. Most of the interwebz hate out there is from people like me, used to 100% out-of-the box reliability from our Smith/Glock/XD/Sig/Walther/HK/Beretta. If you buy a 1911, plan on spending some money on rounds and range time to finish the job the manufacturer started. If this concept isn't for you, get a $400-$900 gun from the list above and you will be accurate and reliable. I don't have a 1911 anymore, but I do regret selling that Colt. I'll have another one day.

If someone has the money and a desire for a 1911 Kimber, they should get a Dan Wesson.

Edited by BadTrainDriver

Mine has gone bang every time I've needed it to, and I'd not hesitate to take it anywhere.

Going bang doesn't make up for the lack of rounds you are able to carry or the high bore axis and the manual safety. If it works for you great, but I choose a more efficient gun and encourage people to do the same. ;)