CVT transmissions?

max power

I'm not sure what specific model Subaru you have, but in "limited traction" situations such as snow and ice, it is actually specified to turn traction control off.

My car, with VDC, has the ability to turn off traction control, while still maintaining the other features, ESC, ABS, etc.

Personally, I'm a fan of ABS on all conditions. The early Subaru ABS was very over sensitive, and there is an easy mod to disable it. Today's Subarus are much improved. You may think you're better, but in all actuality, you're not.

2012 or 13 outback wagon with a 6. I agree. I simply don't like traction control or ABS. And I call bs concerning abs on snow, I can't lock it up to get to the actual road for traction or dam up the snow to stop, or use brakes to slide on purpose, especially on gravel roads. Abs is misleading. Should my kids have it, maybe. No need to discuss further and derail the thread on that topic though. Edited by Gump
  • Upvote 1

2012 or 13 outback wagon with a 6. I agree. I simply don't like traction control or ABS. Should my kids have it, maybe.

Straight from the owners manual, Section 7, Driving Tips:

Pressing the switch to deactivate the
Vehicle Dynamics Control system can
facilitate the following operations.
a standing start on a steeply sloping
road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or
otherwise slippery surface
extrication of the vehicle when its
a standing start on a steeply sloping
road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or
otherwise slippery surface
Edited by BadTrainDriver

My dad's car had a very aggressive abs system in the late 90s. Often times I wound have to bypass it using the handbrake. I don't know if the systems are improving our my perception of them is changing, but I don't ever feel the need to second guess the ABS in any of the cars I've driven since then.

My wife has a 2013 Outback with a 2.5 and CVT. She loves it. I love it also and like features of the CVT though I prefer my Mazda with the manual. :D

While the CVT DOES NOT jump off the line, it does great on on-ramps and on hills where the transmission is able to make best use of the available power band. It also does well with cruise control on hills since it just slips down the band and maintains the speed instead of losing speed until the automatic drops a gear.  We pass lots of cars on the hills of US-50 & I-68.

BTW, my wife told me to get the manual (on my Mazda) !  She's building major cool wife points.

Edited by Shoop

The CVT does have some things going for it, MPG especially...but the 3.6 H6 with the 5EAT doesn't even come out of overdrive on the steepest mountains of WV with the cruise set at 75MPH. The MPG sure does suffer for it though. Thankfully, it just needs regular gas.

Does any transmission based on an 80-90s design come out of overdrive on hills?

I learned to drive in a 92 E yes E150 and quickly learned that the botton on the gearshift was your friend.

After that I had all manuals up until this spring and have only been through WV hills in a 2012 elantra that had slap stick auto and never had to force a downshift.

Well see when we take my trailblazer to Tennessee this winter if I need to drop it out of 4th.

Edited by zx3vfr

Does any transmission based on an 80-90s design come out of overdrive on hills?

I learned to drive in a 92 E yes E150 and quickly learned that the botton on the gearshift was your friend.

After that I had all manuals up until this spring and have only been through WV hills in a 2012 elantra that had slap stick auto and never had to force a downshift.

Well see when we take my trailblazer to Tennessee this winter if I need to drop it out of 4th.

Probably the term I should have used is, overdrive torque converter clutch lockup, not actually dropping down a gear.

I know what you meant. Trailblazer doesn't have OD. Its just a wide ratio 4 speed. The e150 had it and that's what I was referring too. The elantra is gone but it was a stupid 6 speed auto that shifted way to much but was responsive in the hills to downshifting when needed.

But the e150 would have to be a near stall before the OD would kick off.

Now the wife's 03 Toyota. I have no idea because we've only had it for a couple weeks and haven't driven it very much.